News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

gauge issues/update

Started by markbob, June 19, 2013, 09:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markbob

Hello All....

I have a 69 Coronet with non ralleye dash.....

I checked voltage limiter function at fuel tank sending unit with a test light.....I get a flashing light....

I checked voltage limiter function at temp sending unit with same light....I get nothing....
I placed a jumper wire from sending unit wire to ground.....temp gauge needle does not move....

I checked all wires behind dash....especially those leading to the round plug in center of instrument cluster....nothing seems amiss....

I checked wiring diagram....and the temp gauge and fuel gauge share feed from voltage limiter....

How is the cluster grounded? Is it through the dash itself? My headlights, instrument cluster lights, emergency flashers all work.
My steering wheel is not installed, so the harness connections to that are not hooked up....

if I place a jumper from the ground to the fuel gauge sending unit wire, and the fuel gauge needle moves, then does this mean I need a new temp gauge?

Any thoughts?

thanks,

Mark

A383Wing

if you get a flashing test light at both sender locations, I would say yer gauges are good. But then grounding both wires should make needles go to max.

Ground for dash is though dash mounting screws. There may also be a ground pin on the cluster circuit board as well

Bryan

markbob

Bryan,

I only get a flashing light when I test the fuel gauge sending unit wire....
I don't get one when I test the temp gauge sending unit wire...

I am thinking of jumping the sending unit wire for the gas gauge to ground to test it....
if this works, I think I have a bad temp gauge.....

any other thoughts?

thanks,

Mark

A383Wing

Yea..OK ..maybe I misread yer post...happens often, sorry

if you take wire off sender, whether it be temp sender or fuel sender, and if you ground it and gauge rises, gauge should be good. If needle fails to go up, and you do not have a blinking test light, I would say gauge is bad or possible pin connector issue on circuit board. All this testing needs to be done with key on, and best to have 2 people because if you leave sender wire to ground too long, it will fry your gauge

Bryan

markbob

Bryan...

I purchased a new fuel gauge when I started my restoration....do you think I could swap this with the temp gauge?
they look the same.....

what do you think?

thanks,

Mark

A383Wing

they have the same OHM's, and probably the same stud position on the back...but are the faces the same? If so, it should work...it's been a while since I have seen a non-ralley dash

Bryan

markbob

Bryan,

the faces are the same....the number on the front is off one digit....

if they have the same ohms, if I need to change it out, I will try it....

I replaced my voltage limiter with a solid state one.......I put some more gas in my tank, and the gas gauge is not moving yet.....

I am hoping it's a ground issue, and nothing else...

thanks for replies...

take care,

Mark

markbob

Hey all

Ran car a week ago and temp gauge was working.....
I figured I was finished.chasing this down but I ran car yesterday
and today and no temp indication
I have recently installed interior and steering column
All electrical functions such as brake lights and such are working fine
Since this started working before and quit again I bet we r talking a ground
issue huh?
I also replaced my old V limiter with a solid state one
Any thoughts?

Mark

A383Wing

could be a loose pin in the circuit board as well