News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ok my engine builder says I need new adjustable rockers????

Started by ottawamerc, July 10, 2013, 08:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottawamerc

Hey guys this never ends does it :RantExplode:  my "new engine" sounds like it is a 200K mile one when it warms up and at 2000 RPM you can hear a valve train ticking noise. My build is : a 440 .060 over, Eddy E Street heads comp cam (dont know the grind) flat tappet and stock rocker arms. I took it back to my engine builder and he thinks I need adjustable rockers to fix it,,,,REALLY!!! OK I kinda get it, the stock rockers on an after market heads but it does seem to be more pronounced on #8 cyl. Also I have ruled out a worn lobe by checking the oil filter media which was totally free of any metal particals and I removed the valve cover and all cyls seem to be preloaded ok.

So my question to you guys in the know is, if I do need these adjustable rockers which ones would you recommend or that you use? He said he used Crane rockers on another 440 build and he didnt like them as he had to modify each one to make them dependable which took time but he says they have been issue free for 3 years now.

Thanks again guys.

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

firefighter3931

What oil are you using Scott ? Hopefully it has an EP additive for the flat tappet lifters  :yesnod:

The stock rockers should be fine....lots of guys use them with E-Heads and mild hyd street cams.

It sounds like the lifters are bleeding down and not pumping back up.

I'd throw a set of the Johnson HY-lift hyd lifters in the engine before installing a high dollar rocker arm setup.  :Twocents:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95605.0.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ottawamerc

I'm using Brad Penn racing oil 30W supplied by my builder.

Scott
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

firefighter3931

Quote from: ottawamerc on July 10, 2013, 10:49:43 AM
I'm using Brad Penn racing oil 30W supplied by my builder.

Scott

That should be fine....was just worried you might have wiped a lobe and that was causing the valvetrain noise  :P

Sounds like you have a collapsed lifter(s) or they're not pumping up after bleeding down.  :yesnod:

Denis called me recently with a similar concern....but his are just noisy on startup then it settles down and goes away. His are bleeding down but come back once the engine warms up a bit.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ottawamerc

Ya mines opposite quiet when cold but ticking when warm and especially at 2000RPM? Any info on the 440 Source roller rocker set, they are not too$$$$

Scott

Kern Dog

My understanding is that the adjustable valvetrain helps to do two things: It corrects and takes up any slop in the build AND it allows the builder to actually set a preload into the hydraulic lifter. Comp cams recommends .020 lifter preload in their hydraulic flat tappet cam setups.

68CoronetRT

I went through all this recently and ended up with the crane iron ductiles/custom pushrods from smith brothers and its a little noisy but I think it's more the lifters than anything.

Adjustable rockers are very nice for setting up pre-load etc... I've heard the 440source rockers are junk as I almost went down that road. I am however running their stealth head.

Just my  :Twocents:

justcruisin

If you are running a XE/HL grind they are sometimes noisy, more of a grumbling like a diesel engine. If that is your noise an adjustable set up wont help. I would be fitting up a set of Johnson hylft's first like Ron suggested.

firefighter3931

I would definately stay away from 440 source rockers....low quality and numerous failure reports.  :eek2:

Rockers are an area where you really get what you pay for. For flat tappet cams the old ductile iron rockers are bulletproof and reliable with reasonable spring pressures. Once you step up to solid roller cam valvesprings the choices narrow significantly.  :yesnod:

With the symptoms Scott is describing an adjustable valvetrain applying additional pre-load won't make any difference if the problem is a defective lifter(s).  :P

If preload was an issue the noise would be present at all times....not just after the engine reaches operating temp. Think about it  ;)

Ron