News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help needed: finding the right cam

Started by oestermarken, June 06, 2013, 05:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oestermarken

I need help to find a good cam for my 383.

Engine:
1969 383 4bbl (330hp)
Original bore size and pistons
new rings and bearings
906 heads
Action +Plus Intake
HP exhaust manifolds

Transmission/Gear:
727 with Trans-GO 2 kit
Stock converter
3.23 Rearend
275/60-15 rear tires

Will this cam be the best choice:
K54 intake lobe/k56 exhaust lobe on a 110* lsa installed at 106*
Ron recommended it for this build:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,50213.msg547360.html#msg547360

Thanks Brian
69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

firefighter3931

That Engle custom cam would work but this VooDoo cam is also a good choice  :2thumbs:

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1578&gid=287

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

oestermarken

Thank you for the help Ron  :cheers:

Do you have any recommendations for valve springs and lifters that will fit the Woodo cam?

What about the carburettor, is this a god time to upgrade? My current carb is a Holley 600 vacuum secondary.
Will that be too small with the Woodo stick?

Thanks Brian
69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

68CoronetRT

That cam is just above a stock spec'd cam I think.

I'd bump it up to a 750 carb and run the Johnson lifters(sticky at the top of the thread). Valve springs I bet will be fine with what you already have.

Bob T

While we're at it, what is the stock stall rated at for a 727 in a 68 HP2 440? Just wondering where the cut in point for a cam change is vs a stall upgrade. Thanks
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

ws23rt

Quote from: Bob T on June 07, 2013, 08:16:41 PM
While we're at it, what is the stock stall rated at for a 727 in a 68 HP2 440? Just wondering where the cut in point for a cam change is vs a stall upgrade. Thanks

This is a good question and something that is sometimes overlooked. I did when I put a Hemi grind cam in my 440. It was not driveable. I can't remember the stall that works for me but a chart or at least rough guess could save the headache/backache to change the converter.

oestermarken

Quote from: 68CoronetRT on June 07, 2013, 06:48:37 PM
That cam is just above a stock spec'd cam I think.

I'd bump it up to a 750 carb and run the Johnson lifters(sticky at the top of the thread). Valve springs I bet will be fine with what you already have.

The Johnson lifters sounds like a good idea!

I was looking on this Proform street series carb:
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/prstseca750c.html

About the valve springs, I think I could use some stiffer ones, I'm almost sure my valves was floating at hi rpm's at full throttle with my original cam, it was shooting through the exhaust and I had to lift my foot slightly to get the trans to shift.

My engine is the 330hp version, not the 335hp version with the "440" cam and springs.

Brian
69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

firefighter3931

Brian, Use a fresh set of valvesprings...the lunati has a more agressive lobe profile (vs stock) and your springs are probably old and tired.  ;)

Comp Cams 911 springs are what i would use. They will drop right on with your iron heads and the stock retainers fit like a glove. You will also need a 3 bolt timing chain with the lunati cam....the Comp Cams "magnum" timing set is excellent quality and relatively inexpensive at ~ $50

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

oestermarken

Thank you Ron  :cheers:

It was just the advice I needed.

Now I just have to find some new pushrods, rockerarms and shafts, then have it all ordered and sent to Denmark.

Brian
69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

XH29N0G

See what others suggest, but in the past I had 5/16 Chrome Moly pushrod suggested from Mancini.  They also have stamped rocker arms.  Is that what you are looking for or something else? 

I would assume they could ship to Denmark, but don't know.  I know the Danish ship to the US - that is how I got lights for my daily driver (my bicycle).  :D
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

oestermarken

That's funny, I actually was looking at them last night  :laugh: Unfortunately the rocker arms is currently out of stock  :icon_smile_blackeye:
The shipping is no problem, a friend of mine has a guy in LA to pack a pallet and ship it to Denmark.

Brian
69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

68CoronetRT

Check out Hughes Engines. Good product and service!  :2thumbs:

oestermarken

69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

69wannabe

I ran a comp cams 274 extreme energy cam in my 383. Its a good driving cam and has a good sound to it too. It had a 488/491 lift. Need a good 2500 stall with it tho and I had a holley 750 double pumper on my 383.