News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Keeping the birds off your cars

Started by Ghoste, April 23, 2015, 07:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I have a robin in the yard that has decided the Nitro is a subject of scorn.  I am doing the grocery bag over the exterior mirror trick and that worked but now he's spotted his reflection in the windshield so hes crapping all over the hood and windshield.  I have the ultimate solution but living in town and being surrounded by left wing bleeding hearts I know who will soon be knocking at the door if I shoot the little flying rat.
Any suggestions?

wingcar

Trade the Nitro in on a Chevy "Spark" or "Sonic"...or perhaps a "Volt".  No self respecting Robin would be caught landing on one of those.......

Or...buy a Hawk and train it to protect your Nitro.....

(Sorry, no help.... :shruggy:)
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Ghoste

A guy I work with suggests rubber snakes or plastic owls.  Apparently once they learn there are "other robins" in your vehicle they never forget.  ::)

70 sublime

We had a robin for 2 summers in a row bounced off our front window
Over and over again trying to get in or at what ever it saw
It would do it long enough till it was bleeding and had blood and bird crap and small feathers everywhere

I think in the end the cat got him  :icon_smile_big:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Daytona R/T SE

I've used bird shot in .22 lr .

Not too loud.

One shot.

Walk away.

:Twocents:

myk

Could you cover the vehicle?  Maybe the bird won't recognize the car under the cover... :shruggy:
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

wingcar

In a past life, back in the day I drove an 18 wheeler and one of the deliveries we made was to a Ford plant somewhere near the Washington Bridge (sorry can't remember exactly where, as I have wiped out most memories of those days...LOL).  But, I clearly remember all the sea gulls standing on top of many of the Mini vans out in their new car storage area.  Couldn't help but wonder what a mess they were making of the paint on the new vehicles. 
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

lloyd3

New pellet gun technology is very deadly and very quiet. It has also become very affordable (the Spanish have copied the good German designs, i.e., GAMO). I live in a cedar-sided home that must be tasty to many critters, as I've had to slay plenty of 'em over the years (including a psycho robin much like the one you describe). I used to wack them with sub-sonic .22 rounds, but Colorado is changing from the conservative, free, & western values place it once was to something more resembling California. To better deal with that somewhat grim reality, I am using the "non-firearm" firearm with good results.  Go with the .177 caliber versions, as the projectile doesn't retain as much energy and carry as far. An upside here is that accuracy and lethality is spectacular (easily comparable to what I'd been using prior) and the pellets are dirt cheap, commonly available, and are completely unregulated (everything .22s aren't anymore).  If you aren't any good at a stealthy execution & disposal (or, you're just plain "unlucky") and somebody actually does complain, local PDs are far less interested in your "BB" gun.

el dub

.22 cb cap. I don't think it pays to shoot a songbird. At least it doesn't in Calif.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

twodko

BB or pellet rifle........not C02 either. Quiet and legal.

F**k your leftwing sheeple.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Daytona R/T SE

If it shits...

And flies...

It dies.

el dub

:D   red rider.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Old Moparz

We had the same problem for a long time & I solved it by giving the dumbass bird his own mirror.  :cheers:

List of things you'll need......

Broom stick
Spare side view mirror
Shelf bracket

Drive the broom stick into the ground near the area where you park. Attach the side view mirror near the top & the shelf bracket under it. The bracket gives Mr Dumbass a place to land so he can look in the mirror & attack his enemy.

It worked & he left the car mirrors alone.  :2thumbs:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

J.Bond

Quote from: Old Moparz on April 24, 2015, 05:43:26 AM
We had the same problem for a long time & I solved it by giving the dumbass bird his own mirror.  :cheers:

Broom stick
Spare side view mirror
Shelf bracket

Drive the broom stick into the ground near the are where you park. Attach the side view mirror near the top & the shelf bracket under it. The bracket gives Mr Dumbass a place to land so he can look in the mirror & attack his enemy.

It worked & he left the car mirrors alone.  :2thumbs:

X2.....

Was going to suggest that yesterday, but did not.......didn't want to be labeled as a bird brain :smilielol:
It's mating season , it's how they roll, a little crazy around here as well.

b5blue

Walmart has a pump 760 Crossman for 20.00 and a lazer sight for 32.00 that fits. 6 pumps @ 20ft range with std. BB's dial in the lazer beam till you see the BB glow from the beam about 15-20ft. My rat snapper can be shot off the hip. If the red dot is on the target just pull the trigger.
  Pests are creatures of habit/pattern you can exploit. In my case it was rats in my neighbors rain gutter that used it as a pathway that through trees could come to my home. In your case I'd set up a small mirror in a fairly discrete from neighbors, but not to the bird's view. Once the bird finds it and patterns it like you car, just put a rat trap or glue pad down and wait for the problem to fix itself.  :2thumbs:
  If all this is unacceptable for your situation rig a bird cage with a mirror as a trap trigger to the door and if you get it you can relocate the offender. (OR at least tell anyone concerned it was relocated..... ::) if you get me.  ;) )   

myk

Quote from: Old Moparz on April 24, 2015, 05:43:26 AM
We had the same problem for a long time & I solved it by giving the dumbass bird his own mirror.  :cheers:

Broom stick
Spare side view mirror
Shelf bracket

Drive the broom stick into the ground near the area where you park. Attach the side view mirror near the top & the shelf bracket under it. The bracket gives Mr Dumbass a place to land so he can look in the mirror & attack his enemy.

It worked & he left the car mirrors alone.  :2thumbs:

I like this idea.  Of course I hope he doesn't end up with a bunch of crazy birds on his property, but it is what it is, lol...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Old Moparz

The mirror didn't attract more birds, just the one & I am sure it has all to do with a male defending territory. Stupid bird wore himself out squawking & fluttering like mad & crapping all over the bracket every single day. He ended up panting like a dog & spent all his time fighting his own reflection. You just know he remained a bachelor while all the other male birds were getting laid.  :smilielol:

I had a lot of people ask what the mirror was for & someone asked if it was for backing up to turn around in the driveway.  :lol:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus