News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What master cylinder to use for 4 wheel disc?

Started by pandamarie, May 26, 2013, 11:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pandamarie

What master cylinder are you guys using that are running 4 wheel disc, getting ready to start plumbing my brake system on my Daytona clone.

Big Sugar

Talk to Cass (DR.Diff)  I'm running a 15/16" master with 4 wheel disc, also using a 67 and up distribution block,  Viper front calipers and DR Diff rear Cobra calipers.
Manual setup. Charger stops really well with no fade and a solid feel.

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

Kern Dog

Last spring I wanted to simplify things in the Charger. The car has 12" Cordoba rotors, 84 Diplomat 2.75 front calipers, Dr Diffs 10.7" rear disc kit and a Power Booster and a 15/16" master cylinder from a 75 Dart. The car stopped pretty good with the power setup but the low idle vacuum  made for one good stop. It was because of this that I decided to switch to a NON power setup.
I tried 4 different master cylinders trying to get a firm pedal and good braking. I failed miserably. I tried 3 iron units, a 15/16", a 1" and a 1 1/8". All were properly bled and delivered a firm pedal but terrible braking. I couldn't even get the car to skid on dirt. I called Dr Diff and he recommended an aluminum 7/8" unit. I bought his kit and gave it a try. It sucked too. No disrespect to the Doc. In between a few of the master cylinders, I tried different proportioning valves with no improvement whatsoever.
I ended up putting the power booster and master cylinder back on along with a vacuum tank. It still boggles my to this day why I had such poor luck with the brakes. I would like to run a NON power setup for the reduced weight and the simplicity.

Big Sugar

Did you try plumbing in a Drum Brake distribution block ?   it took about an hour of driving and stopping to get my pads to seat into the rotors and now I'm quite happy with my Brake setup, I went on  the setup advice if DR Diff and it worked out just as said, Good Moderation and firm responce.

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

Kern Dog

I tried 2 disc/drum types and 2 drum/drum ones. I felt zero difference. I'm still willing to take suggestions though. It sure does look less cluttered with the manual setup un there. I like the ability to have the same braking force whether the car is running or not.

Big Sugar

Well For what it's worth I would give Cass a call again and discuss what your running , Im running 4 piston Viper  front calipers with DR.Diff's rear Cobra disc brakes, a Mopar performance 15/16 Master and a Drum Drum Distribution block, I have a rear proportioning valve as well plumbed into the rear circut. and as I stated it took a few drives to get the pads and rotors to seat, but once they did the brakes changed dramaticly, and now they are excellent.

Ron