News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil pump removal

Started by General_01, May 25, 2013, 12:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_01

I am trying to remove the oil pump from my 383. I found a leak coming through one of the bolt holes and from what I have read it is most likely the o-ring.

My problem is that I have taken the 4 bolts out and I cannot get the pump to budge at all. Am I missing something or are they usually this hard to get loose? :shruggy:

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

1970Moparmann

It is that it's stuck?

Here is the diagram.

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

General_01

Yep. Seems to be stuck. All the bolts are out and it won't budge. I have tried using my hands to move it, tapped on a 2x2 to try and move it and finally put a pry bar in there try to nudge it loose but no dice.

Always seems like the jobs that should be easy always have a wrinkle.  :rotz:
496 stroker
4-speed

metallicareload99

Take an old or crappy oil filter (fram maybe?), install it and use it to work on it.  After all FOUR pump mounting bolts have been removed, I smacked the filter a few times and got the pump to rotate on its mount.  After that it seemed pretty easy to get the pump off, I can't remember if I even needed the pry bars
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

General_01

Thanks for the tip. It hasn't worked yet but I will keep trying. Builder must have used some heavy duty gasket sealer when he put the pump on.  :brickwall:
496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

Gonna have to walk away for a while. I have some old mechanics time books from back in the day and this job is supposed to be a .4 hour job(24 minutes) and I have been trying to get this thing loose since 11 this morning. :flame:
496 stroker
4-speed

metallicareload99

I was in the same boat.  I used an old torsion bar to knock it loose, get it to rotate on the mount, needless to say the filter was not usable after that
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

A383Wing

you did get the 4 long bolts out? The ones with 9/16" heads?

if it's that stuck...it's gonna be a bitch to get the rest of the gasket off....

Bryan

General_01

Finally! Had to pry and push and pull and then went back to the wood and hammer and it finally broke loose. And yes, the gasket will be a pain to get off the block. Thanks for the help. Now to change the o-ring and gasket.
496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

Got it back in. It sure doesn't take long once you get it out.  :icon_smile_big:

Now to let it sit overnight and try it out tomorrow.
496 stroker
4-speed