News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Would You Drill the Tach Hole?

Started by EddieE, May 24, 2013, 02:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieE

Looking for opinions pro and con. I have a non-tach 69 Charger R/T that's been restored to near-original quality. It's not a concours car to me but someone could take it in that direction if they wanted.

I got an original clock tach restored with modern electornics and quartz clock by Auto Instruments, and I got a new tach harness from Bill Evans. He also made me a separate engine harness, only because I want to run an Ignitor in the original dual-point distributor. The existing harness on the car is new so I'll just box that up with the points so it can be restored to its current condition if the next owner doesn't want the Ignitor in the system.

Would you drill the tach hole in a non-tach car of this nature, or would you just run the tach wire through the existing bulkhead connector? I have space in the connector, and I could just clip the wire that currently has the grommet on it.

Would a tach hole drilled in the firewall devalue the car?  Thanks for your thoughts.

fy469rtse

Personally I would take the trouble to run through the bulk head connector , if not an air on car you have a pare plug in bulkhead for that

EddieE

Did it. Drilled a small hole through the bulkhead connector where the A/C leads would have been and put the female lug on inside the car. Actually it was a lot less trouble than drilling that big hole. Took me about 10 minutes.

I still have a one pathway left through the bulkhead connector if I need it, although I could probably put up to three wires directly through each of the available slots.

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259