News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 grill frame, what shade of black?

Started by bull, May 21, 2013, 10:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I tried doing a search on this and all I could really find was where someone said (I think) "light gloss" but I don't know what that means exactly. It doesn't sound like gloss or semi gloss but something in-between. I've thought about doing powder coating on it but lately I'm kind of shying away from that idea in favor of paint. Anyway, what's "right" as far as sheen on the black grill frame?

twodko

Hi Bull,

When I restored the grille on my 69 I used SEM satin black........looks right to me.  :shruggy:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

bill440rt

You're hunch is right, Bull. It should be somewhere in between semi-gloss and gloss. Think black e-coat on newer car sheetmetal parts.
I did mine in black urethane (full gloss), just because I liked the look. I've seen others done full flat also.

A gloss black spray paint rattle can would probably be a close match, it's duller than automotive paint out of a gun.
Whatever you choose make sure you do a small test panel just to be sure it's what you want.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

Thanks, guys.

The idea of doing a test patch is an excellent suggestion. I've been surprised more than once with the differences I've seen in different brands and styles of black paint.