News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Goodyear racing slicks on your winged car

Started by hemi68charger, May 08, 2013, 06:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Quote from: HPP on May 17, 2013, 10:16:52 AM
There are no 15 Goodyears that are d.o.t. approved with the large, white 2" sidewall marking molded in to them that say Goodyear. That layout is reserved for all their competition tires. But, I can say that of the competition tires I've seen, the Goodyear was simply painted on and not a molded white layer like a street tire. That white layer actually adds unwnated weight to the tire, so all racing tires are made as blackwalls and the lettering is painted.

So, if you use the stencil show above, you could duplicate the appearence on any smooth sidewall tire. You might want to clean the sidewall really well and maybe wipe it down with some acetone immediatly prior to painting to generate some adhesion. Aoos don't lay down heavy coats, but keep it limited to a few light layers or they will crack.

I've been browsing to see if there are any 255/60R/15's out there that have a smooth sidewall. None thus far... I'll keep looking.........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

oldcarnut

I looked for a long time to find tires and or lettering to do this also for my rims without success. I ended up just getting pep boys futura super sports 255's  mounted black wall out.  They are not smooth but were not as pronounced as others. Would be nice if someone in the decal business found a way too cut the lettering out of adhesive backed rubber.  I'd give it a shot.   The painted way just doesn't last long.  Almost looked at the dirt track treaded tires.

HPP

There probably aren't any smooth sided tires out there. Too many manufactures use that area to advertise, even if they are blackwall. You may need to scuff them to smooth out the sidewall.  A tire grooving tool could do that or a "flapper" type sanding wheel used in a drill.

GO here: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/  look under oval track, tires, then tools. They have groovers and grinders for tires.

Yes, painting is not a longevity method. If you figure the average lifespan of a saturday night short track tires is measured in hours, the paint doesn't have too look good for long. As long as they are white for hte drive intros, it has served its purpose.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: WINGIN IT on May 17, 2013, 11:41:19 AM
Why not use something flexible like a white silicone instead of paint over the template?

Good idea and i will do a little experimenting  :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser