News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I'm tired...

Started by Dino, September 18, 2014, 03:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

...of school, I'm tired of traffic and those 'awesome' drivers out there, and I'm even tired of the car.  Not selling or anything but it looks like it is my turn to take a break from it.  The work I did in the past year did pay off as all the electrical is now top notch, the rattles are gone, the exhaust is snug, the transmission no longer leaks, and all that was unsafe has been fixed but it's not where I want it yet.  The cam has to go and no amount of tuning will change that.  The carb is set decent but not perfect and although it may be with another tweak or two, I just don't have the energy to do much to it.  I did finally get the cold start issue fixed by rebuilding the carb and resetting base timing.  It'll fire right up but I have so much smoke pouring out the back it's ridiculous.  

I just look at it with mixed feelings these days.  I know I need to bring it back to stock so it runs as it should but I'm just plain tired of it all.  I just want to drive!  

The car really doesn't run bad, at all, but the fuel and exhaust smell is still not gone and the powerband is way off from what I need it (cam again), and I do get frustrated when people keep telling me to get a bigger carb or more performance parts while it's the opposite I need.  Am I really the only one here who does not care about the performance?  It's a friggin' 440 for crying out loud, they move well when bone stock.

Rant over, I'll get through it...I hope.

No I'm still not selling it. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

69rtse4spd

I know how you feel, 70 been up on jack stands for almost a year now. Life & other things get in the way. Got the steel gates done for my brother in law today, hung, look pretty good, he needs to paint them, 47.250 wide by 7 feet tall, two of them. Got to start another job on Friday, then another, but more money for the cars.   

RECHRGD

We've all been there at some point Dino.  Just take a break and be thankful that the car is well on it's way to being what you want.  Your car is certainly not the rust bucket that many here have had to deal with........
13.53 @ 105.32

twodko

X2 Dino. Go putz around in your wood shop. Go out to see movies instead blu rays at home.
Go fishing!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

fy469rtse

We all know the feeling Dino,
mines so close , just stuff to finish off , gremlins in the wiring, some stuff I've brought on myself by converting to leds everywhere,
hard to get motivated and finish , been a cold winter here so that didnt help,
over the past year you have done a lot to yours,
i agree take a break, apart from general maintenance
:2thumbs: but the best part , you can get in yours anytime and go for a blast,
for gods sake man
your one of the elite, you own a muscle car, a dodge charger

Dino

I shouldn't complain, especially about the car, but I'm so worn out I sometimes can't think straight.  It's been a rough ride on several levels for a while and although life is pretty much back to normal now, I'm having difficulty shaking it.

I do love my car, people who know me know all too well how much it means to me.  Instead of doing what Ron told me way in the beginning, swap the cam, I tried making it better with what I have.  I improved it to be sure but I guess I got frustrated when I failed to make that fuel and exhaust smell go away.  My wife bought this car for me after I sold my previous '69 to fund college.  She has asthma, as do I but not as bad, so she cannot be near the car when it is running and that hurts.  I want nothing more than having my sweetheart next to me in that car and I'm always alone.  It sucks for both of us.  She's an absolute sport and tells me not to worry about it, it'll all work out, but I guess she is better at that than I am.  When I do drive it, I push it out of the garage and close the door before I fire it up.  It's pretty decent exercise by the way.   :icon_smile_big:

So sorry for the rant but I had to get it off my chest and I knew you guys would understand.  I never thought of myself as elite by the way, but I am glad that my third Charger is not too much of a rust bucket.    :yesnod:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the car is not a real problem, but it somehow became one when other things in life started taking a toll on my health and sanity.  

Somehow I lost sight of this being a hobby more than a need to drive it and have it perfect.  I just need a break and when I'm doing better maybe it's time to get that engine out and spruce itup a bit.

69wannabe

Hang in there dude, I get the same way sometimes. My charger may sit a month or so before I even raise the door and pull it outside. Got several things i'd like to do to it but life does get in the way sometimes. I look at it like this, its a 69 charger and there are guys out there that would almost kill to own one so I feel like it's very special to have one and if it runs and drives that's a bonus!! Got fall coming and then cold weather soon. Won't hurt to take a few months off of working or worrying with the charger and enjoy some quiet time away from it. Just sunday been driving mine around then later in the day went to drive to my dad's and it just spun over and over. UGH!!! Was not in the mood to mess with it at all but needed to get it back into the shop, figured out the coil died and stuck one on there after a few min's of checking/swapping parts and backed it into the shop and shut the door and haven't looked at it since. We do lose interest sometimes but I know it's out there when I get ready to piddle and pick at it. And after a break you will be ready to jump in there with both feet!! That's what spring is for!!! :yesnod:  We here to listen if you need us dude!!!!

b5blue

You have had me amazed for the last few years buddy! You have been up one side and down the other on your car all while balancing work/school/life. Adding this and that while improving/fixing others.  :2thumbs:
  I heard someone said long ago "The things we own, own us" and I took heed of that concept long ago. I am also kinda pooped out from my own endeavors!   :lol:
It's time for a break! :cheers: Looking for a few parts earlier this week I talked to a guy with 5 Chargers........WOW.......how does he keep that ball rolling?  Kick back for a while and relax, that's what I'm going to do! 

myk

Dirk I'm pretty much where you're at right now.  I ate, slept and breathed my Charger for most of the summer and even forced myself to go to as many cruises and shows as I could and now?   Well, let me politely say that I'm over it for now as well.  I have a CH4B and the rest of Hotchkis' suspension pieces to bolt on, not to mention a Firecore distributor to buy, but right now I'm so busy with work that I can't even muster the desire to drive the car.  Actually, I'm taking time off from the Charger by resurrecting my neglected Camaro and driving that instead. 

I don't know about you or anyone else, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING can hold my attention or patience for very long.  What we both need is just some time away from it.  When dodge fever hits again, our cars will be there waiting with the diagnosis, treatment and the CURE...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

green69rt

I'm not even up to close that you are.  I have a philosophy, take one problem at a time.  Solve that problem and then tackle the next.  My car was and still is a basket case but if you look at the big picture you will get so down that it looks hopeless.  One problem at a time, I can't handle more than that!!!  Don't give in...

70 sublime

I am also in the same boat now
I like to take a big pile of parts and bolt them all together and end up with a running Charger
Still have lots to do but it is mobile now and thoughts of looking for another one to work on are going through my head
I have never liked doing all the little things that you seem to have to buy all new parts for to make it look right (have to buy and the wait for them to show up)
I am keeping my eyes open for what else might come along and starting to build my nest egg up again till I can afford another one and hopefully not sell this one to do it this time
Winter is coming and driving season will soon be over for another year

Dads starting to slow down (he is 73 this year) and can use some help on his junk so I think I will just work on his stuff this winter
He has a 30 Chrysler coupe rod project and a 53 Merc glass top needing a motor swap sitting here
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Dino

Thanks guys  :cheers:

A break sounds pretty good, and needed.  I spent way too much time on it this past summer.  I'm not going to plan anything, I'll just take it one day at a time and see how I feel.  I need to focus on other things for a while.  It's a nice day so I may take it out later and get it washed, the bottom half is a bit muddy.

ODZKing

Yep, been there too Troy.
But to answer your other question, I am also one who doesn't care about the performance side. Both mine will never go to the track, I don't see the point in doing burn-outs.  This last year, we have gone to some shows with them both and put them in a non-judged class so we can park them together. I don't care about trophies (all though it was nice to get 1st at Carlisle with the 73 this year).
In fact everything I do in regards to the engine now is so I can get another mile or two of fuel economy.
I have 2 big blocks but even the 383 is plenty to get me where I need to be when I want to get there quickly. Yes, it's nice to get on the highway and punch it once in a while, but I just want to drive them. I just want to enjoy them before I drop dead.  In fact as I type this, we were supposed to go to a show but because the weather guessers can't tell their ass from their elbow I'm sitting home because (they say) we'll be getting a big storm. No one wanted to go and it is 68 and partly sunny out. All I can say is it better rain or I'll be pissed!  :'(

AKcharger

You know what you need...you need a banner!  :yesnod:

Crabtree charger

If you have a Holley carb on your 440 check out David Vizards book [ How to super tune and modify Holley carbs ]. Also an air to fuel ratio meter such as [Innovate Motorsports] will dial that pig carb to be like fuel injection. Just sayin, after you take a break and all. :faint: