News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thoughts on potential buy?

Started by mrgreyhound, November 01, 2013, 04:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrgreyhound

Hi everyone,  I'm new to this forum and muscle cars in general.  I've been searching around for a good project to do on weekends after school and think I found a contender. 1972  Charger 318 automatic,  Mild shift kit, hemi orange paint needs work, need to reupolster  the front seats.  Power windows, radio work.  Needs  some body work, one  rear panel has a hole, no major rust but some  near the rear window on the vinyl,  undercoat is all good.  Needs an alignment,  but drives pretty well,  running rich because of the choke, but other than that it's smooth.  He's asking 5000,  just wondering what you guys think of it,  anything to look out for,  would you buy it?  Thanks!
Chris

72Charger-SE

Well, to be honest...  without pictures it is really difficult to provide any worthwhile opinion.  I recommend taking and uploading photos of all four sides, underside, engine compartment, frame rails, trunk and floors (without carpet).  This would be a good place to start with 'is it worth it'.

NHCharger

With out some pics that seems a bit high for a small block car that needs body work and interior work.
These Charger can rust in the strangest places. One common area on the third gens is the cowl area. The cowl vent drains can get plugged up with leaves and debris causing it to rust. As you already found, other favorite rust areas are under the vinyl tops, around the back window, lower quarters.
If he's asking 5k he'll take less. Depending on where your located prices usually start dropping in the fall.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

polywideblock

also check A pillar where door hinges bolt on 

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

mrgreyhound

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll try and post pictures as soon as possible.  I'll make sure to look where you guys pointed out.  Thanks.

NHCharger

Quote from: mrgreyhound on November 01, 2013, 08:55:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll try and post pictures as soon as possible.  I'll make sure to look where you guys pointed out.  Thanks.
don't forget to check, floorboards, frame rails, wheel wells, rockers ;).
don't be afraid to take a magnet and check the body for filler/bondo.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Highbanked Hauler

Are you able to do some/most of the work yourself as it can get pricy to have it done ? :o
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

mrgreyhound

Yeah I'll try and do most everything I can myself, I can ask you guys for help,  right?!  ;D

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: mrgreyhound on November 01, 2013, 09:20:54 PM
Yeah I'll try and do most everything I can myself, I can ask you guys for help,  right?!  ;D

Always  :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

mrgreyhound

It has some bondo right next to the passenger door sill where there is a hole, a small bit in the actual sill is starting but rust remover should take care of it no problem, and under the rear window where the vinyl is a bit torn.  Besides that rest of the car is really solid.

mrgreyhound

Here are some pictures, I have been having trouble posting them.

JB400

You passed the initiation test :cheers: :lol:  It doesn't look too bad from what I see.  Hope it turns out to be a good one and that you're able to get it. :cheers:

mrgreyhound

One more.  The ariel is detachable.

polywideblock

I would also advise laying on your back in the trunk and looking at the underside of the Dutchman/parcel shelf   :yesnod:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE