News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question about torsion bar adjustment

Started by MaximRecoil, May 19, 2013, 08:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximRecoil

The car is a 1969 Charger with a 318, and it has the .90" diameter torsion bars (778R, 779L). When both of the adjustment bolts are screwed in the same amount, the front passenger side sits about 1/2" higher than the driver side, and it throws the frontend alignment off (the car pulls toward the center of the road). Backing the passenger side adjustment bolt off until the front ride height is the same on both sides brings the frontend back into alignment, but I'm wondering if this is something to worry about. Does it indicate that the driver side torsion bar is worn out, or at least, worn significantly more than the passenger side torsion bar?

Kern Dog

Some call this the "Dodge lean". Since both torsion bars are the same diameter, they have the same strength. The problem is, the left/drivers side weighs MORE than the right side. Think about what components are on the left side that are NOT on the right. Starter, steering column, box and pump. Trans cooler lines. Clutch or A/T linkage. If it is a big block, the oil pump and filter. The left side carries more weight, so the torsion bar needs more preload on that side.

MaximRecoil

Ah, okay, so this is normal then. In addition to the things you mentioned, the battery is also on the driver's side, which weighs about 40 pounds or more by itself. Thanks for the explanation.

K9COP

Great explanation, that's what this forum is all about. I lowered the front of my car, and yes, the left side requires less lowering than the right. I was also going to suggest that maybe the torsion bars have 'worn' or degraded to different degrees, but also that the left has been carrying more weight than than right for maybe forty years with just one person in the car repeatedly etc...

Glad you got an explanation...

CS
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

68X426

Isn't there a problem with Greg's explanation?  :scratchchin: The motor is never dead-center. Mopar engines are offset several degrees to the passenger side, to make room for steering, etc.

So there shouldn't be a lean based solely on the extra equipment, because the engineers compensated for it by offsetting the motor.

Just thinking out loud.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow