News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Knowing the original color / testing out paint

Started by bonfire1009, April 13, 2013, 10:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonfire1009

I have a 1969 Charger, and since I have had it I have been trying to find a reproduction of the buildsheet.
The major flaw in my slaw is that the fender tag is missing.  I have done the following to seek further knowlege - looked through numerous postings of found buildsheets; posted same question on another Dodge fan site; contacted Chrystler Musuem.  I have looked up Gavior (sorry spelling not my thing) and have even exchanged some e-mails with him but he just sent me info on how to decode a buildsheet.  He always has a backlog and I would hate to pay alot to hear "sorry kid".

The car has been molested in the past so I am not sure if I could trust any serial #'s I may find.  I am at the point where I have enough money saved for body work, but I would like to know what the original color was prior to committing to a color.  Which leads me to my other question - does anyone know of a website that has a Charge body to test colors on?

Any help would be great.  Thanks in advance for any replies.

JB400

Sounds like you need to check the 69 Charger registry.  They have pics of I'd say every color or pretty close to it.

As far as finding out the original color of your car in particular, you'd have to either sand away paint, or look in some obscure area like behind the master cylinder reinforcing plate or something that wouldn't normally be removed for a paint job.

Best of luck :cheers:

Dino

If the car is all there then you shouldn't have too much difficulty finding the stock color.  The engine bay is your best bet, remove some stuff and see what's underneath.  There are color chips online but you won't find more knowledge out there than on this site so I suggest you find some color, shine it up and take pictures to post here.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Homerr

Also a great site:  http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/

When I did my Charger the best preserved paint was under the package tray.  Easy enough to pop the back seat it it still has one and peek under the package tray.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Dino on April 14, 2013, 08:02:04 AM
If the car is all there then you shouldn't have too much difficulty finding the stock color.  The engine bay is your best bet, remove some stuff and see what's underneath.  There are color chips online but you won't find more knowledge out there than on this site so I suggest you find some color, shine it up and take pictures to post here.

Interesting, I would have thought inside the cabin under the carpet would be the best place to look for OEM colors.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Dino

Quote from: bakerhillpins on April 15, 2013, 06:34:52 PM
Quote from: Dino on April 14, 2013, 08:02:04 AM

Interesting, I would have thought inside the cabin under the carpet would be the best place to look for OEM colors.

I guess it depends on who painted the car and what mood the painter was in.  My 68 showed quite a bit of green but my 69 does not, it's green but it's all mist soyou don't get a good impression what the color really looks like.  On the other hand, the engine bay was painted top to bottom and parts were bolted up to it so it's usually in good shape.  I found shiny F8 under the heater valve gasket of all places.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

64dartgt

Tirerack.com will allow you to change colors and wheels on the car, but it is low resolution.

bonfire1009

once it stops raining I will look under spots you suggested, but what is the Package Tray?
I have registered it and asked the webmaster to contact me if another pops up with a serial # close to mine.  I just find it hard to beleive those records are all lost

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions I do need to start posting pics.

super77se

Quote from: bonfire1009 on April 17, 2013, 09:56:27 PM
once it stops raining I will look under spots you suggested, but what is the Package Tray?
I have registered it and asked the webmaster to contact me if another pops up with a serial # close to mine.  I just find it hard to beleive those records are all lost

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions I do need to start posting pics.
package tray is the area behind the back seat