News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Outer Axle Bearings for 68 Charger

Started by charlie45, April 20, 2013, 04:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie45

I'm ordering a bunch of stuff to Germany, and really want make sure that I get it right the first time... Shipping back&forth is no fun, not to mention expensive!

I need need outer axle bearings. Both of these should work right? What's the difference and any particular recommendation between the two?

Btw, the rear axle is 8 3/4 with a 741 Case number (if that even matters...)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cee-8008

OR

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bca-a7

Appreciate the feedback!

Regards from Munich  :cheers:

moparsr2ast

This is a much better option, and contains not only both sides, but all the gaskets you will need http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=181111394113

charlie45

Thanks, unfortunately I have to order it from Summit Racing, since I'm all my other stuff from them (to have everything shipped together from one vendor makes more sense...)

So those are the options I have from Summit. Can anyone address my questions?

Thx

Dmichels

They both will work. The first one you show is an "upgrade" This is sometimes referred to as the "green bearing" It uses a sealed bearing that does not require any endplay adjustments. The second one is a "stock" replacement. There are many articles about the upgraded bearings. Read up and decide what is best for you.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Cooter

Just a word of caution regarding the "Green" bearings. Many have encountered problems with these due to side loads NOT up to requirements. In other words, if you plan on actually driving your Charger round a few corners, you better stick with the stock tapered roller.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dmichels

I never thought of the side load issue. Just by looking at them you can see they are a light duty bearing, so a definite no no for a pickup. Do they fail to the point where you lose the axle? I used them because they were cheep and easy. Had them for 15 years no trouble.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

moparsr2ast

I have use th green beains ithout a failure also and I tend to like to drift in corners  :icon_smile_big:

charlie45

Okay, guys. Thanks for all the feedback. :2thumbs: :cheers:

charlie45

Quote from: Cooter on April 20, 2013, 08:23:03 AM
Just a word of caution regarding the "Green" bearings. Many have encountered problems with these due to side loads NOT up to requirements. In other words, if you plan on actually driving your Charger round a few corners, you better stick with the stock tapered roller.

So it sounds like its almost better just going with the tapered ones in that case...??

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."