News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

led bulbs in the 69

Started by Brightyellow69rtse, February 18, 2013, 10:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightyellow69rtse

hey guys a while back i got the 18light led bulbs from http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/LED-Bulbs-Lights/Car-Truck-SUV

they finally came in the other day and i got a chance to put them in the car. i replaced all six lights in the taillight housings. one of them didnt work out of the box. they were considerably dimmer than the factory bulbs.  so i took them out and replaced with factory bulbs.  im very disappointed with them. complete waste of money here.

i havent contacted the company as of yet but i plan to do that today.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Ugh that sucks.....very hard to find bulbs that actually fill the housings with light like the incandescent do...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dino

If you don't mind me asking, why change the tail light bulbs?  Not bright enough? 

The last thing I would do to my car is exchange the plain bulbs for led's.

Driving behind a 69 Charger and seeing those 3 bulbs in there just looks awesome while the newer cars with led look like neon light signs.  I was behind a late model Charger yesterday and I seriously don't see why some people love those tail lights, they look hideous to me.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bakerhillpins

:pullinghair:   Ugh sorry to hear that BrightYellow. I wouldn't have thought that they would have been dimmer.  You bought them from a different source than the OP in the other thread correct?

If I am reading that correctly..
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,98195.msg1138497.html#msg1138497

Quote from: Dino on February 18, 2013, 11:11:10 AM
If you don't mind me asking, why change the tail light bulbs?  Not bright enough? 

Driving behind a 69 Charger and seeing those 3 bulbs in there just looks awesome while the newer cars with led look like neon light signs.  I was behind a late model Charger yesterday and I seriously don't see why some people love those tail lights, they look hideous to me.

Dino - unless I am misunderstood your post he isn't changing out the whole tail light assembly. The Idea is simply more lumens using the same reflector. So it shouldn't look like new cars that have lots of little dots.  :scratchchin:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Ryan

Unfortunately not all LED's are created equal.

69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Dino

Quote from: bakerhillpins on February 18, 2013, 01:28:54 PM
:pullinghair:   Ugh sorry to hear that BrightYellow. I wouldn't have thought that they would have been dimmer.  You bought them from a different source than the OP in the other thread correct?

If I am reading that correctly..
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,98195.msg1138497.html#msg1138497

Quote from: Dino on February 18, 2013, 11:11:10 AM

Dino - unless I am misunderstood your post he isn't changing out the whole tail light assembly. The Idea is simply more lumens using the same reflector. So it shouldn't look like new cars that have lots of little dots.  :scratchchin:

No it's me that misunderstood, and it wasn't that early!  I had those repro led tail lights in mind.  I guess a led bulb shouldn't change the stock look all too much.  My bad, carry on, nothing to see here.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Brightyellow69rtse

yeah i cheaped out and went with a different company. i am not changing over to the complete led lights. im just changing the bulbs.  i may buy the parking light bulbs from the expensive place to see how they are.  if they work great i may swap the tailight bulbs aswell. but for now the original bulbs are installed. 

AKcharger

Thanks for the write-up yellow!
Seems like this LED thing is 100% hit or miss. For every post that says their, great there's another (like this one) saying they didn't work out for a number of reasons. I'd love to make the conversion but what is the definitive source bulbs that work perfectly AND make flashers work.  :brickwall:

Cooter

Bout the ONLY thing I can see LED's having over the original bulbs would be the replacement intervals. Last forever. Like in a DASHBOARd where they are a PITA to get at. Other than that, Gimme the old style lamp bulbs. LED's just don't look too bright in daytime. Night time however they seem to shine.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on February 18, 2013, 02:48:23 PM
yeah i cheaped out and went with a different company. i am not changing over to the complete led lights. im just changing the bulbs.  i may buy the parking light bulbs from the expensive place to see how they are.  if they work great i may swap the tailight bulbs aswell. but for now the original bulbs are installed. 

Just make sure they arent brighter than the outer tail bulbs :nono:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

triple_green

This didn't work for me either the bulbs were made in China. When installed they were no brighter than the stock 1157s and when one flashed the other one came on at the same time. When I put the stock bulbs back in it didn't so this $16 down the drain.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)