News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The clone wars.....

Started by b5blue, April 05, 2013, 06:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

Quote from: lukedukem on April 06, 2013, 11:25:12 AM
I'm confused as to what my car would be considered then. I mean that when I saw deathproof that's what I wanted my car to look like. But I didn't put a roll cage in it or actually make it deathproof. I kept the original interior and big ole steering wheel. So is mine a clone or tribute. It doesn't bother me either way. 25% of people who approach me don't know the movie anyway or drive angry movie. One things for sure. I have one.  :2thumbs:

Luke

You wouldn't have that problem if you put an "01" and Confed. flag on the roof.  :D
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

lukedukem

Quote from: Cooter on April 07, 2013, 12:11:26 PM
Quote from: lukedukem on April 06, 2013, 11:25:12 AM
I'm confused as to what my car would be considered then. I mean that when I saw deathproof that's what I wanted my car to look like. But I didn't put a roll cage in it or actually make it deathproof. I kept the original interior and big ole steering wheel. So is mine a clone or tribute. It doesn't bother me either way. 25% of people who approach me don't know the movie anyway or drive angry movie. One things for sure. I have one.  :2thumbs:

Luke

You wouldn't have that problem if you put an "01" and Confed. flag on the roof.  :D

Very funny Cooter.  :smilielol:

I thought about doing it with white like that one with the sunroof in the thread about top generals. My cousin wants me to do a gloss 01 on the side. But it's staying like this for awhile.

Luke.
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

pettybird

Quote from: Indygenerallee on April 06, 2013, 10:24:47 AM
and you can drive them and not be afraid to wreck a piece of history..

Still rather drive one of the 'birds than the clone Daytona.  Dane makes beautiful cars, but he'll have more into the drivetrain of the new blue car than we have into our Marty car--clones aren't always cheap. 

If you have a "real" car, and someone copies it, it's a fake.  If you own the copy, it's a tribute, a hot rod, a custom, etc. 

bill440rt

I like the cars on either side of the camp.
I can appreciate the time & dedication it takes to do a bone-stock resto on a correct car, AND appreciate the car for what it is. Contrary to some belief, it is NOT an easy task and perhaps the hardest of all to accomplish.

On the flip side if an owner builds (or has a car built) to his liking who really cares? The majority of "muscle cars" today likely falls into this category. If that's what makes the owner happy, and as long as it's not misrepresented some point down the line, then so be it.

At the top end of the scale for me are survivors, the "untouched" cars that still retain much of their originality. They are only original once.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

A383Wing

Then I got somethin' for everyone...a couple survivors, a car built the way I wanted it, and a clone...

Bryan  (I'm poor)

Baldwinvette77

one guy told me cloning a car was when you took the vin, and other peices from one car (like a rust bucket or write-off) and slapped them on another car in better condition to recreate the totaled car, and if you took something like a coronet and built it like a superbee, but kept the coronet vin, it's just a tribute  :shruggy: idunno, it made sense to me, just my.. er. his*  :Twocents:

ws23rt

I think the term clone comes from the need to have something other than fake as a way to describe what we are working on. Fake to most of us means deception. If one uses only the vin from one car to identify another what is their intent? Let's say the car is done and at a show. Is there a sign saying warning the vin they see is not what they may expect it to be. What possible motive could there be for doing that other than to represent that car as being something it is not. Further let's say we found a pile of rust with a fender tag on top that is one of one hemi- etc. Lets build a car and put that vin tag on it. Is that the car that the tag indicates? Sort of like the old tale about the hammer that has been in the family for years. It has had the handle replaced many times and the head a few. Is it the old family hammer? We know that many of these cars have gone on to make new ones and if we find an old tag it should not pretend to be the car it came from. The cars that are a real mess become a tough call which comes back to the tough call. How much metal is old and how much is new? For me the only original car is one that has not been repaired. That leads to another gray zone. The real bottom line is are you telling a lie. You are the one that knows.

Budnicks

Quote from: bill440rt on April 12, 2013, 07:32:09 AM
I like the cars on either side of the camp.
I can appreciate the time & dedication it takes to do a bone-stock resto on a correct car, AND appreciate the car for what it is. Contrary to some belief, it is NOT an easy task and perhaps the hardest of all to accomplish.

On the flip side if an owner builds (or has a car built) to his liking who really cares? The majority of "muscle cars" today likely falls into this category. If that's what makes the owner happy, and as long as it's not misrepresented some point down the line, then so be it.

At the top end of the scale for me are survivors, the "untouched" cars that still retain much of their originality. They are only original once.
:Twocents:
I agree once you do a restoration, or a bunch of body parts replacements, fenders, quarters, roof, interior, engine, trans etc., it's not original any more anyway, it's now restored, so isn't that sort of a clone too or reproduction of the original at best ??  my :Twocents: they're only original, one time !! I like them all & as long as they are done tastefully, it's the owners choice, it's not a fake Mopar, it's just not factory original...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

ws23rt

The term fake is what someone other than the owner uses when the car is less than original and there is an attempt to pass it off being authentic. Can't think of anything except money being the motive. We all know what we are doing and what we have. A very few out there are trolling for suckers. A sad life they live. The up side is we are better informed and way out number them.

A383Wing

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on April 12, 2013, 07:01:34 PM
one guy told me cloning a car was when you took the vin, and other peices from one car (like a rust bucket or write-off) and slapped them on another car in better condition to recreate the totaled car,

that is just a tad bit on the illegal side...whoever that guy was needs to be slapped