News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dammit I fried a power window motor

Started by Dino, December 18, 2012, 07:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I was testing some motors and got careless with the last.  Positive and negative hit for a split second, made a small spark and that was all she wrote.  Is it done for or can I open it up and fix it?

I have another motor that works but goes real slow, what's up with that?  Trash or repair?

2 other motors seem to work fine and go pretty fast.  I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering at least 2 new motors, should I just bite the bullet and get all 4 or is there no reason the old motors would give up after all these years?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

maxwellwedge

Send 'em out to get rebuilt.....the slow one probably just needs a good cleaning of components.

Dino

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 18, 2012, 12:00:22 PM
Send 'em out to get rebuilt.....the slow one probably just needs a good cleaning of components.

I don't want to waste money on it when I can buy a new one under $30 but I'd gladly give it a go myself as I really need to learn more about electrical.  I'll start with the slow one and see if I can make it move better, I'm not sure where to look with the other one though.  When + hits -, what exactly fries?

The other two really move, those little suckers are very excited.   :icon_smile_big:

Iron Chef

Got some regulators if you need 'em...  :smilielol:
Most of your life should be "off the record."

Dino

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Dino

Quote from: nascarxx29 on December 19, 2012, 11:14:03 AM
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41013.msg453313/topicseen.html#msg453313

Yeah looks like I'm going shopping.....

Two of the motors run real well but I don't have them near me so I forgot if they were rears, fronts or one of each.  If they are the rears then I may just get two new fronts...I dunno.  Trying to save a few bucks here. 

charger Downunder

Pull them apart and give them a good spray with contact cleaner to clean everything check the brushes if worm to nothing you will have to stuff around and change them. When putting back together push the brushes back with a small screw driver. Grease up the shaft and buy a new gear and stick it in and pack the gear housing with grease.
[/quote]

Topher

There is a breaker in the bottom that you can either by-pass or replace. I've replaced several.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

Dino

rspcharger

Quote from: Dino on January 21, 2013, 07:52:31 AM
Thanks gents I will give that a shot.
if you have any bit of DIY skill you will be fine. I've had all 4 of mine apart over the years. Seeing as my car was found in a Seattle area field, full of water, nothing electrical wanted to work properly. I just wish it were easier to get the dang things in & out of the quarters  :brickwall:
- Regan
'69 Charger R/T

Dino

Alright, had a few minutes this weekend so I took all 4 motors apart and started cleaning them up.

I hadn't marked the motor I fried so I started testing them to see which of the 4 din't move and the answer was none of the above.  Since when are these things self repairing???   :lol:

3 ran at the same speed, about the same as a new motor, one is going slower.  When I took them apart it was obvious that there was a ton of grease in there but it had turned into lard...  I removed most of it so I have a few questions:

I am going to rinse the parts in denatured alcohol to get the rest of the old grease off, what do I use in its place?  All I have is wheel bearing grease.

My motors have a round body instead of the flattened oval body.  If I find brackets to secure the motors to the frame, will they fit the motor or do they fit the oval motors only?  Does anyone have a pic of these brackets by the way?

Does anyone have part numbers so I can see which motor belongs where?  The fronts and rears are different on the inside.