News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PULSING LIGHTS

Started by C928BRAN, February 12, 2013, 01:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C928BRAN

I have a 69 charger, and when my lights are on, all of the lights pulse dim to bright, when it is at idle, and the gauge goes below 0. if i give it some gas, gauge goes up, and lights stop pulsing. voltage regulator, and alternator are new. what can i do to fix this problem?

thanks, craig.

Ghoste

Actually its kind of normal.  Retaining stock components you can clean up all of the wiring connectors to alleviate it a little bit but its the nature of the beast.  Do you have any aftermarket electrics on the car like a bigger stereo?

A383Wing

they make an electronic regulator that takes the place of the points style regulator you have now. That should stop the "pulsing" of the lights, it will not however, stop the gauge going below the "0" mark or center as you call it when car is at idle.

Bryan

C928BRAN

I have an aftermarket radio, but it doesnt even have to be on for it to do this

C928BRAN

what do i need to do to install a electronic regulator?

Cooter

I'd go with something that has an internal regualtor which will be electronic. Those old "Mechanical" Voltage regulators are for the guys that still run Flatheads and Banjo rearends.

As much as people are afraid of setting one of these cars on fire, yet, I see more and more mechanical regulators installed.
Yes, it does Exactly as described. ON.............OFF.............ON............OFF. When on, can "hit" the system with as much as 15 Volts.

Discharge...................WHAM! CHARGE.....................Discharge......
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Cooter on February 13, 2013, 07:49:44 AM
I'd go with something that has an internal regualtor which will be electronic. Those old "Mechanical" Voltage regulators are for the guys that still run Flatheads and Banjo rearends.

As much as people are afraid of setting one of these cars on fire, yet, I see more and more mechanical regulators installed.
Yes, it does Exactly as described. ON.............OFF.............ON............OFF. When on, can "hit" the system with as much as 15 Volts.

Discharge...................WHAM! CHARGE.....................Discharge......

Some of them are likely electronic ones in a stock looking case. Thats what I have on both of my cars.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

C928BRAN

WHAT CAR, WOULD HAVE CAME WITH A BUILT IN VOLTAGE REGULATOR, AND HOW DOES IT WIRE UP? DOES THIS ELIMINATE THE REGULATOR, ON THE FIREWALL? SORRY FOR ALL CAPS, DIDNT NOTICE, TILL I WAS DONE TYPING, I HAVE TO LOOK AT THE KEYS. :icon_smile_big:

C928BRAN

if i were to put a smaller pulley, on my alternator, wouldnt that make it turn faster at idle, therefore fixing my problem? the pulley on mine right now is pretty big. i only have to give it a little gas for the lights to stop pulsing.

Cooter

Quote from: C928BRAN on February 13, 2013, 10:54:51 AM
if i were to put a smaller pulley, on my alternator, wouldnt that make it turn faster at idle, therefore fixing my problem? the pulley on mine right now is pretty big. i only have to give it a little gas for the lights to stop pulsing.

Nope, just wear out your Alt. bearing faster. It's a design problem with Mopar alt/voltage reg.. This is why I run GM 1 Wires on ALL my juink.
Baddest Mopar unit (Factory, not some Denso BS from Mancini/440 Source), is about 75 AMP...Baddest GM alt. Try 160 AMP.
And can find 'em anywhere.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"