News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WIRE HARNESS

Started by richardmoparman, February 10, 2013, 09:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardmoparman

Has anyone used the american auto wire harness before and if so what do you think of it?

Mopar Nut

Never heard or used that brand. Have you thought about the wiring harness from YO? Best on the market in my opinion. YO has a 20% or 30% off sale sometimes.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

charger Downunder

Here just got the engine harness and headlight harness, good bloke to deal with and fast shipping.
http://www.evanswiring.com/
[/quote]

Troy

To clarify (before you get a million suggestions for things that aren't the same): American Auto Wire makes complete "modern" harnesses - much like Painless. I've seen their stuff at street rod shows and it looks pretty nice. It is NOT a factory replacement harness (so no comparison to the M&H harnesses that Year One sells). It is also not nearly as modern as Isis - but it's reasonably priced and still has lots of features. Like Painless, it uses GM connectors and relays and requires some assembly (connector attachment, sizing of wires, etc.). Evans primarily makes engine wiring (and lights?) - which, while very nice quality, doesn't help if you need a dash harness.

Here's an example:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-510289?seid=google&gclid=CN-W2PTbrrUCFcpDMgodJxAA3Q

I think a few people have either used them or Painless in the past but I don't have any of the threads handy. If you have no wiring at all, have some wiring skill, and aren't building a concourse correct car then I see no reason not to go that route. You'll save about $1500 over the M&H wiring.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Troy on February 11, 2013, 12:00:11 PM
To clarify (before you get a million suggestions for things that aren't the same): American Auto Wire makes complete "modern" harnesses - much like Painless. I've seen their stuff at street rod shows and it looks pretty nice. It is NOT a factory replacement harness (so no comparison to the M&H harnesses that Year One sells). It is also not nearly as modern as Isis - but it's reasonably priced and still has lots of features. Like Painless, it uses GM connectors and relays and requires some assembly (connector attachment, sizing of wires, etc.). Evans primarily makes engine wiring (and lights?) - which, while very nice quality, doesn't help if you need a dash harness.

Here's an example:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-510289?seid=google&gclid=CN-W2PTbrrUCFcpDMgodJxAA3Q

I think a few people have either used them or Painless in the past but I don't have any of the threads handy. If you have no wiring at all, have some wiring skill, and aren't building a concourse correct car then I see no reason not to go that route. You'll save about $1500 over the M&H wiring.

Troy

I bought complete wiring for my car from YO (M&H) with 30% off , didn't cost $1,500.00.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Troy

I just pulled out my invoices and my 68 Charger R/T was just over $1,100 after the 20% off so it's only about $1,000 cheaper I guess. It's still a considerable difference! Not to mention, you have to modify the things if you want to deviate from stock (radio, ignition, lights, etc) and you're stuck with 40+ year old technology (including the bulkhead connector and ammeter). I can find deals on the American Auto Wire harnesses too. If that's what I was in the market for I'd jump all over a 5-10% discount on a $450 harness before a 30% discount on $1,350 dollars worth of harnesses - and that 30% code is super rare so be prepared to wait a while on it. I like the M&H harnesses for how I was building cars. I can't say that I'll do it for the next one because it won't be anything close to stock. I was only making the point that you can't compare AAW, Painless, and M&H on price, features, or originality because they're aimed at totally different markets. They all have their place.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mopar Nut

With the M&H, you can plug and play. As far as upgrading, YO will have M&H custom build a heavier duty wiring.

Mopar Nut

I checked american auto wire website, I didn't see any mopar wiring. Did I miss something?

Edit: Just checked the Summit link.  :2thumbs:

randy73

Quote from: Mopar Nut on February 12, 2013, 12:10:12 AM
With the M&H, you can plug and play. As far as upgrading, YO will have M&H custom build a heavier duty wiring.

Yes they will and you WILL pay for that also, ask me how I know. YO is expensive, rewiring 70 Cuda was just over $1000 in 2011, rewiring 73 charger was just over $1,350 in 2012.
Both cases, all harnesses were replaced.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: randy73 on February 12, 2013, 11:47:48 AM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on February 12, 2013, 12:10:12 AM

Yes they will and you WILL pay for that also, ask me how I know. YO is expensive, rewiring 70 Cuda was just over $1000 in 2011, rewiring 73 charger was just over $1,350 in 2012.
Both cases, all harnesses were replaced.
In 2012 YO had many 30% off sales, you should of waited for their sales. My complete wiring for the Charger in 2012 was only $950.00. I saved like $500.00, the dash was only $350.00. Shipping was only $15.00. They already had a 20% off sale this year.