News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is this radio setup missing - Pic Included? - UPDATED-FOUND IT !!!

Started by Mfr426, February 06, 2006, 07:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hello all, I'm winding down on my 69 SE reassembly. One thing that has me stumped is the AM/8-Track wiring. I think I'm missing something?

I have a wiring harness that I've labeled for front center, left and right speaker. The one end is for the output on the radio. The radio red/orange is for power from the main harness (I believe). I also have a "speaker" switch that mounts under the dash and has a knob and a large wiring harness with a connector. I also have a stereo "module" that mounts to the top inside of the glove box. That too has the large connector on the end. The speaker wiring harness also has this large connector on the end. So, it looks like I have (1) male connector and (2) female connectors?

I dont see another large (6 wire) connector for one of these to connect to? Is this hidden under the dash somewhere that I cant see?

I have a wiring diagram and it does show that I have (2) male and (2) female connectors. Looks like I am missing something.

Any help would be great.

Thanks all for looking!

Here is the pic of the setup.

Charger4404spd

I believe that should plug into your main dash harness..................somewhere :icon_smile_big:
Stick your head under the dash and have a look-see!

Mfr426

Yep, done that already. I have been all over the harness and have everything pulled out (gauge cluster, radio, glove box and all dash pad covers). I'm going to look one more time. I'm not even sure where the other connector would run.

This stinks!

71_deputy

from all the diagrams I have- 3 speaker stereo- exactly as you have less the fader control.- can't use it with that harness.

3 speaker stereo with tape- then you get the fader control- the wire for the fader would be near the multi wire that is for the cross over unit!!  bet you could make it work with the harness but have to cut it and tape the wires!!!!

John mac
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

Mfr426

John, thank you for the thoughts. I wonder of the previous owner put that fader in and then realized that there was no where to hook the thing up? I'm going to go over the harness one final time and if I dont have that feed for the fader I'll just not install it.

I appreciate your comments!

Mike Roberts
aka
MFR426

71_deputy

10-4 Mike

the same system is used in the E-Bodies as well!!!

your guess is about right!!!!!!!!
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

THE CHARGER PUNK

dont plug it in,just stick it in there and put  acd player inside the glovebox look stock but with supersound-MATT ;D

Mfr426

But what about my collection of Neil Young 8-Tracks that I've been dying to hear...

:yesnod:

Charger4404spd

Ghoste

Save them for appearance.  First time you try to play them, they'll likely come apart anyway.

Nacho-RT74

THAT IS A EXTREMMELY RARE SETUP... anything you do, don't messed it up
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Mfr426

Guess what I found this AM in the basement with my extra wiring harnesses???? Yep, the REAR SPEAKER (s??) WIRING HARNESS!!

BINGO!!!!!! I am not totally psyched!!!

I'm putting EVERYTHING back as factory even if it does NOT work.

Dont know if I mentioned this but my car is a dealer demo car and has TONS of options. The fender tag is loaded with codes!!!

Charger4404spd

You have a pic of the rear harness? Mine is missing for the rear speaker. Not even sure where it runs to.

Mfr426

Here it is. The large connector is what I could not find in my dash attached to the main wiring harness. That is what plugs into the fader control. It also makes sense since it's a accessory they didn't put it into the main harness they just put it in the dash as needed along side the main harness. The one end goes to the rear speaker (2 wire) and the two (3 wire) connectors go to the radio and the other speaker harness. Finally the factory wiring diagram for accessories makes sense.

Charger4404spd

Thanks, I have been keeping my eyes open for one over the last couple years, but have never seen one :-[