News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dashpad upper is starting to crack, remedies???

Started by Bob T, January 04, 2013, 05:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob T

Howdy people, my upper dash pad is just starting to crack, so I've seen today, has anyone got any good tips to help arrest it? I realise the age and uv exposure is the big problem. An upholstery guy I've used in the past recommended buffing the pad with j&j baby oil to moisturise it, so far its helped. Any tips appreciated . Cheers
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Dino

Moisturizing it will stop most action but the cracks will likely get bigger still because of temp and movement.

There are vinyl repair kits that come with a special glue and a type of filler to smooth out the cracks.  The kit also comes with samples of vinyl so hopefully there's one in there that matches the grain on the pad.  When the primer goes on you push the sample in it to create the grain.  This works really well in spots out of sight but the dash pad will be tricky.  You'll have to prep it well until it looks as if there's no patches and then you'll have to repaint it.

Alternatively go visit your local upholstery shop and ask if they have a fabric that matches the dash pad grain.  If you can find something them you can remove the old vinyl and recover the whole thing.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Do you use Armor-All or other silicone based products on it? Your upholstery guy is probably bang on the money, you need to condition the pad. You need to put oils back into it that have dried out over time making it brittle. You might also want to try some vinyl conditioner but not sure what is available in NZ. I've found it hard enough to find stuff in Australia. Small cracks can be repaired with good success, but whatever you do stay away from silicone products. They don't allow the vinyl to breath making it crack. Most dashes from 80's cars are cracked from Armor-All. Tires are about the only thing it's good for.

Dino

Good point 440.  Use a vinyl softener, don't get any leather conditioner or creams, it won't work on the fake stuff.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger-Bodie

Take a tiny drill bit and drill a hole just past the end of the crack . This will stop the crack and the continue with your repairs.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Bob T

Ok, good tips Guys, Thanks. I've never used armourall on my last 3 cars, just a bunch of different chemicals fighting each other and making a gloopy mess on whatever surface it touches. Disgusting stuff. Baby oil is great and lasts, plus it is cheap!  :lol: everything comes up nice with application and buff. The cracks are at about the maybe 3-4-5mm long and 0.5- 1.5mm wide so its time to address it now before they really get moving. I've started using one of those reflective windscreen shade covers when its parked outside in the sun, really helps with lowering the cabin temperature too.         Likely will go and talk to the upholsterer too and see if there are any kit type stuff out there. Cheers  :cheers:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

remta1

dont use those vinyl repair kits from Supercheap ....waste of money . :brickwall:

Talk to your local uphoslter and see if he can make you up a dash cover out of the floor carpet type material ...shouldnt be too dear

Bob T

Quote from: remta1 on January 16, 2013, 06:04:26 AM
dont use those vinyl repair kits from Supercheap ....waste of money . :brickwall:

Talk to your local uphoslter and see if he can make you up a dash cover out of the floor carpet type material ...shouldnt be too dear
Good idea, but not one that will work for me I'm afraid, I've always hated the carpet type covers on any dash, they just kill the visual appeal of a nice sleek or coloured dash stone dead for me. A neighbour of mine years back used to keep his tv remote in the plastic bag that it came in and press the buttons through the bag until the bag was so opaque it was impossible to see through, the next year when I saw it, he had put it into a ziplock bag, I just couldnt see the point of keeping the remote pristine by using a bag over it everyday - just seemed worthless keeping it in mint condition inside a damn bag forever unseen in its au natural state.  Similar gig under the carpet. Cheers for the suggestion tho 
Old Dog, Old Tricks.