News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the cheapest way to ship a car hood from Niagra falls NY to Richmond VA?

Started by AKcharger, April 19, 2013, 08:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

OK here's the story, I finally found an N96 hood for my '72, it's in Niagra falls NY and I need to get it down to Richmond VA (and then somehow to AK) I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. The cheapest is rent a car "one way" for $125 and strap it to the hood with tons of padding and drive, but are there any weird laws preventing this? I was thinking renting a Uhaul one way but it's like $700 plus milage.

The advantage I have is I can fly on any airline into into almost any airport for free so getting myself around is easy, shipping that stupid hood, not so much...any ideas?  :popcrn:

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

AKcharger

areibel

I have a friend that bought bumpers and they shipped them that way, no problem at all.  They came wrapped in some of that white slippery foam sheet held on with about six rolls of clear packing tape!  But a nice big hood, I'd worry just a little- maybe if it was crated?  I'd call Greyhound and see what they say, if sheetmetal would need more protection.

hawkeye

might try uship.  i have used them for all kinds of things and was always way cheaper than i could do it myself.

jaak

I used greyhound to ship 2 bucket seats one time. I had to take them to a station in Athens, AL and had them sent to Baltimore, MD.  UPS wanted 97 per seat to ship, sent both insured for 450 through greyhound for 81 bucks. The guy I sent them to recieved them in a couple of days. He just had to pick them up at the closest station.

Jason

70redbee

How about a DC.com relay? From member to member till it reaches it's destination.

bill440rt

If the Greyhound depot is close enough it might not be a problem. I don't use it because it's a major hassle in my area.
I've used freightquote.com quite a bit to ship large parts. You can pick up large sturdy boxes at almost any body shop, they are so eager to just get rid of them.  :lol:  Heavy duty foam wrap, too.
Freightquote.com is a freight broker, so you usually get a pretty good rate. You can either drop off the box at your nearest chosen shipper, or most of the time they will even pick it up at your house. Most of the time they are not as cheap as Greyhound, though.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

AKcharger

Ok, good info guys thanks. I'll be doing some checking. i think my plan will be be fly down to niagra falls, buy/ box up the hood and ship and have brother pick it up.

The company I work for has planes on the east coast and a plane coming back up here to Alaska from Plattsburgh NY on Sunday...but just couldn't put it all together in time  :RantExplode:

odcics2

Fly there and rent a Grand Caravan.   The hood will easily fit inside.    :2thumbs: 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Old Moparz

A lot of people have used a trucking company called "Forward Air" & say it's reasonable.

http://www.forwardair.com/

It's best to put it in a wood crate. I called them once about shipping a pair of fenders & they told me that the crate would protect it from other crates. It needs to be dropped at their terminal & then picked up from their terminal, they do not deliver door to door.

Back when I was going to use them, Yellow Freight wanted $450 & Forward Air was about $125. I didn't ship at all, the buyer picked them up.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

AKcharger

Wow, still more good ideas, this is a profitable post! thanks guys!

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 70redbee on April 19, 2013, 10:01:21 PM
How about a DC.com relay? From member to member till it reaches it's destination.

I like this idea.

I wonder...

How long would it take to relay the hood to Alaska ? :scratchchin:

I'll take it from Terra Haute to St. Louie  :Twocents:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 70redbee on April 19, 2013, 10:01:21 PM

I made something like that when I won a NOS 73/74 quarter panel to ship it from IN to FL with a help of two friends and relateds... a guy from Moparts ( Darren Lugdinton, great and nice guy that I meet once he came out to Venezuela for job reasons ) with his parents in IN and another friend from this board ( Chriss Rieker ) helped me out with that. Of course it took around a year, maybe more, but I couln't complaint, it was a free shipping. I won the panel in $250  :o ;D :angel:

The first guy who helped me out was Chriss who picked it up first from vendors place. Then after more less a month Darren called his father to pick it up again and keep it storaged there, untill he was able to go to IN to visit his parents from FL where he lives. then he carry on back from IN to FL

I paid the material used to build the crate ( he made it and delivered ) to deliver it to my International shipper. Whats a great job.

Then I paid the sea international shipping... I don't want to talk about how much I had to pay for the international shippment :brickwall:, that's another story, but whatever

I remember the Greyhound option... the quarter measurement exceed what Greyhound accepts
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

AKcharger

Well a relay might work, I'd bet we have at least one person that RVs up here in the summer. Worst case is it goes to VA and waits till the next time we send a plane to the lower 48 for maintenance

ralley72

I talked to Greyhound this week to ship a roof skin to Indiana from Missouri. They said no, is to large of a package for them to ship. I would imagine a hood is to the large also. The buyer found a shipper but its cheaper for them to drive here and pickup themselves.

Mike
1973 Roadrunner 400 mag. 4 sp

AKcharger

Yeah, it is kinda big. I think I'm going to go with a one way SUV rental from Alamo for $125. It's going to be a LOOOONG day that's for sure! I'll have to keep you guys posted

billfury

You risk the hood being damage using Greyhound. I live in Staten Island NY and bought a 71 R/T charger hood from Michigan. I was doing a search and was getting some high prices. I got lucky because the guy was going to Carlisle PA for the Mopar show. I went and picked it up. Maybe he goes to a show that another member goes to. I like that member to member ideal. Should try it and see how that works.

AKcharger

Got it! Enterprise actually had an F150, so total with taxes was $149, $75 for gas total $225 from Ontario CAnada to Richmond Va.  :yesnod: