News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

spray dye leather seats ??

Started by Highbanked Hauler, January 02, 2013, 10:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Will Leather seats take black spray on dye?  Thinking of possibly using  PT Cruiser seats in my 68..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

garner7555

Yes...  Having grown up in auto body industry we have used dye on leather seats in our personal vehicles. It works ok. The downside is that when the dye dries it gives the leather a slightly "stiff" feeling but it really isn't that noticeable.  The plus is that you can always try it and if you don't like them you can always pull them back out.
Tips: clean seats extremely well with something that will remove oils and residues that build up on seats. I would also scuff the leather lightly with a grey scotch brite to help dye adhear (soak in).   Good luck.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

garner7555

I forgot to mention, my 69 has bucket seats out of a Volvo S60. They are tan and I plan to dye them black when I get to that point.   It's nice to have modern, comfortable, 6 way power adjustable seats.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Highbanked Hauler

I am retired from the auto body  and the only thing I know of is the   MAR-HIDE  brand of dye.. Is there something better than that out there ??
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Dino

None of these are actual dyes but paints.  SEM color coat would be my choice.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Back N Black

I did the seats in my charger with SEM dye. The seats were white and i dyed the seats black. It been seven years and absolutely no issues. :Twocents:

Ghoste

They look good.  I have an armrest that started black and somewhere in its past was dyed white.  Its starting to wear through but I have no idea what brand of dye or process they used.

Mike DC

SEM vinyl paint works the best.  But I have yet to see a painted seat survive steady real-world use. 

Ghoste

A front seat armrest likely falls into nearly the same category?

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Back N Black on January 04, 2013, 08:43:48 PM
I did the seats in my charger with SEM dye. The seats were white and i dyed the seats black. It been seven years and absolutely no issues. :Twocents:

That looks really good!  Did you just apply with a rag?
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Back N Black

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on January 06, 2013, 06:08:58 PM
Quote from: Back N Black on January 04, 2013, 08:43:48 PM

That looks really good!  Did you just apply with a rag?

Spray can, SEM Landau black.