News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

superbird trunk lids??

Started by DoubleDlover, January 03, 2013, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleDlover

so did all superbird trunk lids come with the cut outs for a go wing? Or did they all not have them? or some do some dont? Kinda what ever they had to put on at the time?? thanks

JB400

If you look at trunklids of other models, they had the provisions for the go wing as well.  It was something the factory did so that they wouldn't have to have two versions of the same decklid.  Also, it made it easier for the dealers to install go wings on cars for people that wanted them.

maxwellwedge

The cutouts didn't happen until later in the 70 model year when the option became available. Birds were fairly early.......I'll have a look on mine to see if the provisions are there....now I'm curious

moparstuart

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 03, 2013, 09:44:38 AM
The cutouts didn't happen until later in the 70 model year when the option became available. Birds were fairly early.......I'll have a look on mine to see if the provisions are there....now I'm curious
when looking at 70 lids  I find very few that have the cuts outs , its definatly more rare to
find them with cut outs  .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Indygenerallee

If you look at trunklids of other models, they had the provisions for the go wing as well.  It was something the factory did so that they wouldn't have to have two versions of the same decklid.  Also, it made it easier for the dealers to install go wings on cars for people that wanted them.

Not even close.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

JB400

Quote from: Indygenerallee on January 03, 2013, 02:01:55 PM

Not even close.
Thanks for the clarification

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

pettybird

totally hit and miss. 

Both of my cars have them, including 166206.  166156 does not, and it was built within days of my car.  MOST non RR's and GTX's got non cutout lids, while most RR and GTX's did, but that wasn't hard and fast either. 

I've actually spent a decent couple of years looking at the decklids after I thought they all had cutouts, much like rear defrosters in Canadian Daytonas or lack of VIN stamps on 'bird core supports.  Since I didn't bother to keep a tally, I'd estimate the mix of what I've seen at 65/35% with/without. 

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on January 03, 2013, 03:37:29 PM
totally hit and miss.  

Both of my cars have them, including 166206.  166156 does not, and it was built within days of my car.  MOST non RR's and GTX's got non cutout lids, while most RR and GTX's did, but that wasn't hard and fast either.  

I've actually spent a decent couple of years looking at the decklids after I thought they all had cutouts, much like rear defrosters in Canadian Daytonas or lack of VIN stamps on 'bird core supports.  Since I didn't bother to keep a tally, I'd estimate the mix of what I've seen at 65/35% with/without.  

I have three lids , all off road runner and none of them have it  ,  and of course my satellite lid doesnt either

talkiemopar

Let's have pictures  ??? :confused:   Rick.

moparstuart

Quote from: talkiemopar on January 03, 2013, 04:49:26 PM
Let's have pictures  ??? :confused:   Rick.
i'll show u mine if you show me yours  
  cant find an under side picture but here is one

moparstuart

:drool5: this one is off a red Road runner that bother parted in 76
I also have the air grabber hood of that car on my orange coupe 

WINGIN IT

Every Superbird I've look at throughout the years had the cutouts.
Always made it a point to look, because I was told they should have the cutouts as the car as base model is a Road Runner, and it was the standard lid for it ( albeit are some exceptions). :Twocents:

Redbird

I have an early production Superbird w/o the cutouts and the original lid. I have had 2 and still have 1 mid production Superbirds; 1 with the cutouts and 1 w/o, both original lids. I also believe it is totally hit and miss.

moparstuart

:popcrn: :popcrn:

JB400

Stuart, get your parts straight. Those are Road Runner parts, not Superbird parts :nana: :2thumbs:  I do see a nice 69 hood though :o

moparstuart

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on January 04, 2013, 01:14:33 PM
Stuart, get your parts straight. Those are Road Runner parts, not Superbird parts :nana: :2thumbs:  I do see a nice 69 hood though :o
69 hood is long gone sold it to a guy in indy like 10 years ago
 and the white door , red door and red deck lid are now on the birdible .   Nice rust free stuff that sat in my moms garage (in rich hill )  for 25 years .

and my white lid i donated to dreamcatchers rolled off the trailer car

maxwellwedge

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 03, 2013, 09:44:38 AM

No cut-outs on my current Bird.....I am looking for pics of my previous one to see what that one had...