News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 owners

Started by dd44068, August 12, 2005, 10:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd44068

For all you 440 owners or previous owners whats the average temperature that you run at. I am running at about 200-210 but not sure if my gauge is off a little or if it is normal.

ChargerRob

That's about what I run at. I've always been told that 440's run hot. :shruggy:
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

eSJayDee

After changing radiators, I'm typically at ~190 ° based on the gauge, which is relatively accurate.  (Its readings are w/in a few degrees of a temp probe stuck in the rad cap hole.)  The other day I was doing a lot of nasty city driving on a very hot day (90 °+) and it was running ~210 °.

greenrt_se

70charginglizard

Depends...Is it bored over? If so, it will run in the 195-210 range. Especially in traffic unless you have a really awesome radiator and cooling setup.
70charginglizard

69charger2002

i run 195, standard bore still on my 440
if i sit still, even with my aluminum radiator, it can creep to 210.. that's it though
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Sixtyeight

Mine was just finished and was around 220 the first startup....
After that drivin on highway or standing still for all just around 170

Jeroen

Charger Registration of the Netherlands / www.charger.nl
1968 R/T Charger
1969 Base Charger

Charger_Fan

Brand new engines usually run warm.
After they break in, there's a lot less friction & they'll run cooler.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

tomonty

Mine is bored .040 over with a six pak and it runs pretty hot if it is just sitting there idling. Too hot I think. I have a brand new radiator and I would say in the 200-210 or over range unless I am going down the highway. I am not sure how accurate my gauge is though...
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

BigBlockSam

i have 4 440 cars. some boed 30 over. some stock bore. they run between 190 to 210. the one that is bored 30 over will creep up to 220 if stuck in traffic on a real hot day. when i start to move  it goes back down again. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

FastbackJon

Mine runs hot, 220 in traffic the other day on a hot 90+ degree afternoon. That's with a new heater core and the heater on full blast. Then I pulled into the gas station and popped the hood, put gas in it, and got back in the car and the temp gauge was up around 235~240!! But after I start it up and get the water pump moving, it cools back down again to the 210-220 range. Or less, like 180s to 195 if it is a cool afternoon and I'm on the freeway.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

slim

Fyi: older 440's (1966 etc.) will run hot if you have the heater coil hoses reversed (not in right spot).

Afflyer

Man, ALL you guys seem to be running HOT.  Since I had the 2-row guts to my 22" core replaced with a 4-row (no shroud), I have CONSISTENTLY been running no hotter than 170.  And when I'm sitting in heavy traffic at the red lights, my 440 won't get any warmer than 210 or so. 

Yep, I highly recommend all of you with 2-row cores to put two more in and top off the system with a product called "Water Wetter".

Works for me!  :yesnod:

Bradley  :icon_smile_big:
"It's better to break ground and head into the wind, than to break wind and head into the ground."
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

dd44068

any thoughts on where to get temp gauge rebuilt

eSJayDee

any thoughts on where to get temp gauge rebuilt

1st place I'd check out is Performance Car Graphics.  I think he does this sort of work on instrument panels & such  & my dealers w/ him have been 1st rate.

BTW, I have a new 3 row 26" radiator FWIW.

chargermick

Mine's bored 30 over and runs between 210 and 220, I'm a little worried that 220 might warp my new aluminum heads. Took my radiator into the shop this morning, I hope the 4 core does the trick. Shrouds for the 22" are almost impossible to find.

FastbackJon

Quote from: slim on August 12, 2005, 08:48:29 PM
Fyi: older 440's (1966 etc.) will run hot if you have the heater coil hoses reversed (not in right spot).

There's a "correct way" to hook up the heater hoses? I have a '66 440 block, and I just hooked them up so it looked nice. My friend's '67 383 4bbl car, he hooked his back up the way he had them when he replaced his heater core, and they are reversed from mine.

I hooked the rear tube on the engine to the inner (driver's side) tube on the firewall, and the front tube on the engine to the outer (passenger side) tube on the firewall.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV