News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

power steering pump melt down

Started by lasvegas69charg, November 28, 2012, 10:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lasvegas69charg

hi.  i justed started my engine for the first time being in the car and after about 5 mins at idle i noticed my steering pump lid fell off and it started to smoke.  i shut the car off.  after looking further looking into it, the dipstick for the power steering melted away inside the pump and the fluid boiled over.  the pump got so hot that when i put a rag around the pump, it almost caught the rag on fire...thats how hot it got.  anybody know what happen or what i did wrong.  i put fluid in it.  i know i didnt get the bubbles out yet but i didnt think that was important until you drove the car.  is the pump ruined because it melted the dipstick inside it or can i just drain and flush the pump out and put new fluid in it. it seems like as i get closer the finish line more of the wrong things are happening.  thanks in advance.

one other thing, when the car started, the wheels turned all the way to the left hard and fast.
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

hawkeye

to get it that hot you must have metal on metal somewhere.  take the belt off, does it turn easily?  does it make a grinding noise?  or can you feel grinding when you turn the pulley by hand?  my guess is a bad bearing/bushing in pump.

lasvegas69charg

it spins freely with the belt off and no grinding noise. I did some research and found out why the wheels turned to the left. It has something to do with the centering valve on the steering gear. The way I read it is to loosen the 2 bolts and tap it towards the firewall but would this also cause the pump to get that hot?
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

cdr

YOUR GEAR BOX is not adjusted correct if the stg wheel spun when the car was started,in turn it overheated the pump
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,61109.msg682304.html#msg682304
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

lasvegas69charg

does this mean that my pump or gear is toast?

Cooter

Have you replaced, or had ANY part of the steering box apart? I know the valve on top HAS TO BE "CENTERED" or what you describe will happen.
Sounds like you burnt the pump up. DO NOT DRIVE it until you can fire it up and the steering wheel stays in one place.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

lasvegas69charg

yes it was a new pump and gear. I think what I'm going to do is replace the pump and center the valve and get the air bubbles out. I know I won't make this mistake again. With the valve not centered does that mean steering fluid was not going thru the steering gear.

cdr

it is like turning the stg wheel to the lock & holding it there
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

lasvegas69charg

Chryco Psycho

I never start a new engine for the first time with the power steering belt on for this reason , the last thing I want to do is shut the engine down early & potentially waste a cam because of a problem with the power steering

lasvegas69charg

here is pics of the whats left of the dipstick that i found inside the steering pump...

charger Downunder

Wow that is bad i dont want to touch mine now.
[/quote]