News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hagerty insurance...

Started by 1974dodgecharger, October 30, 2012, 11:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

how do they determine if your car is a daily driver lets say the odometer is broken? I would have 2 plus cars with a charger, but the charger would be my daily.

WHITE AND RED 69

The second you say daily driver you will be turned down. You are allowed unlimited mileage but not for daily use, if that makes sense?  :shruggy:  I was turned down when I said I would use mine 3-4 times a week. You can always tell them its only for weekends but who knows what will happen if you have to file a claim?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on October 30, 2012, 11:25:17 PM
The second you say daily driver you will be turned down. You are allowed unlimited mileage but not for daily use, if that makes sense?  :shruggy:  I was turned down when I said I would use mine 3-4 times a week. You can always tell them its only for weekends but who knows what will happen if you have to file a claim?

yeah my point exactly I could say 'weekend driver' and belive it or not weekends to me are the mid day since I work sometimes sat and sun...then again I guess they could investigate if I did work or not etc...and what my days off are from my company if I did get into a accident. 

Alright then never mind I guess I will do regular insurance.

JB400

The problem with regular insurance is, to them, your charger is just an old car.  To them, it classifies right there with a 93 Tempo 4 door.  If you have a claim, don't expect much

gsniegow

I have Hagerty covering the Charger and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Regarding the daily driver question.  I think what the key for them is that you have another car covered by another insurance policy.  Assumption being that you drive that car around as your daily driver.  If I recall, when I took out my policy I had to provide them with my other insurance information and that is how they determined that I had another car, my daily driver. 

I don't work for them so I can not say for certain, the above is just my opinion.    ;)

johnnyseville

I have had Hagerty since 1992.  Had one claim the whole time, a mishaps that occurred at a car meet, the other guy left it in neutral with brake off and it rolled into my quarter panel.   They paid big bucks to a new quarter panel and to repaint the entire car, since color matching would have been so-so.  I will try to insure through them, they are great for handling claims, which is what it is all about, rates are not bad either, I am sure you can find cheaper, but are they reliable?  I had to submit my info on my regular car when I took out the policy.  If you use it during the week and something happens you can always say you were on the way to the shop to have something looked at, no one can prove otherwise.  I once drove a 66 Satellite for about 3 months straight, did not have any incident, but even if I did, could have BS my way out of it.  
too many to list!

41husk

I have my Daytona and my Convertible challenger covered by State Farm with agreed value. I had to provide them with proof of value.  I used a appraisal (they had several approved appraisers and I used one from there list.) but I could have provided to published value guides as well.  Last year they had me come in and take pictures of them both to show condition had not changed.  I have never had to make a claim and they have insured at least one classic for the last 10 years.  My 09 was outrages through State Farm so I used Grundy.  It was similar to SF as I had to sign saying this was not my every day car and I did not plan to drive more than 5K miles per year.  Insurance is $600 per year with no deductable.  The problem is they broker the coverage out, I believe, and it is paid annually in full.  You can't break it up to $300 every six months.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Dino

Yep, you need a daily driver and proof of insurance for them to accept your Charger.  When the rep asked me how many miles per year I would do I couldn't really give her a number so she asked me how much I put on my daily which is less than 10K/year.  Then she asked if I thought I'd drive the Charger half of that and I said with 6 months of winter there is very little chance of me hitting 5K miles/year so 5K was put in the contract. 

When I asked her what the rules were regarding driving it to anything but a show she said you can drive it as much as you want if it's a test drive of some sort, so now I test drive my car every day!  :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

41husk

In Illinois if you have antique plates you are limited to 2k miles per year, but I don't think they check :icon_smile_big:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Dino

Quote from: 41husk on October 31, 2012, 11:29:45 AM
In Illinois if you have antique plates you are limited to 2k miles per year, but I don't think they check :icon_smile_big:

That would be pretty hard to enforce yes.  I find it odd thatthey would put a limit on it although likely most of the classic car owners would never reach that if even if their life depended on it.  I drive the pants off of mine and I've got almost 2K on it since May so I'd be fine in IL.

JB400

Missouri has the same thing.  The only problem is you have to document your miles.  And yes, the police do check.

41husk

I have no problem.  I only drive mine when it is nice out, and try to take turns between the  Daytona, 70 Challenger and 09 SRT,  I know I have put just under 2k on the SRT in a little over 2 years.  I would guess I put 1-1.5K per year on the other 2 because I do tend to drive them a little more.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Dino

Quote from: 41husk on October 31, 2012, 11:42:33 AM
I have no problem.  I only drive mine when it is nice out, and try to take turns between the  Daytona, 70 Challenger and 09 SRT,  I know I have put just under 2k on the SRT in a little over 2 years.  I would guess I put 1-1.5K per year on the other 2 because I do tend to drive them a little more.

Taking out several cars you love and thus staying under the maximum allowed limit is what we call having your cake and eat it.   :2thumbs:

471_Magnum

I have Hagerty on my Road Runner. No complaints other than once they took the opportunity to bill me for their road side assistance program by default. I told them if that ever showed up on my bill again I'd change company. Hasn't been a problem since.

Had to file a claim on the Road Runner last year when it got rear ended. Really no major complaints on how the claim was handled. The agent I worked with went out sick about halfway through the process though, so communication was a bit of a problem at times. The appraiser they sent out was a joke. He just used all the costs I gave him without doing any research on his own. In the end it worked out okay.

That particular accident did occur in route to work, and I told the agent. Never became an issue. I do drive it to work whenever weather (and fuel prices) permits. On average that's probably about once per week during the warmer months. Much less over the winter.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

jasonspragg

i use farm bureau for all my insurance and with my charger in montana all i had to do was assign a value and was insured for that ammount, here in idaho I had to pick a number from 1-5 and after reading all the information for each number my agent and I chose a number 2 best discribed my car and thus it is insured for like 33k replacement cost which is just about what I have into the car so works out just fine. I do have a milege limit of 2.5k a year so I have to be careful but he also knows i drive it every day the weather is perfect. My premium is like a grand a year just on charger.

:Twocents:

RIDELIKEHELL

I was told have a story ready if you are driving outside the said restrictions...not that I have driven mine yet  :RantExplode:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

tsmithae

Quote from: 41husk on October 31, 2012, 11:29:45 AM

Unless, you do this!

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/license_plate_guide/antiqueexpand.html
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0