News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Taking the next step on my 70 R/T and need the Pro's help: Thanks

Started by bad88t-top, August 15, 2012, 09:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bad88t-top

Well, This weekends Mopar National show didn't go as expected and I realized after cleaning my car for 3 days I have some area's I need to improve on the 70.   I'm looking to get more detailed on my engine bay and I need your help to do so.  I'm looking for period correct/authentic restoration pictures of the following areas.

Starter Restoration & Pics
Alternator Restoration & Pics
Pic's of the area around the proporationing valve, brake line clip, z-bar, and clips on inner fender for starter wiring
Fuel Pump Pics:   Should pump be painted orange or leave un painted?
Bendix Booster/Master Cylendar finish:   What's correct, Natural master cylendar with black lid or is everything black.
Steering Box factory finish & Pics
Steering Shaft and lower column refinishing Pics

I guess I'm going crazy, not sure a this point.  I figured when I install my manifolds next month I can install the original starter and also refinsih the steering box and column while I'm at it.  I'm also replacing the orignal brake and fuel lines with Stainless prebent from Fine Lines.   I picked them up in columbus this past weekend.   Any help or pictures you can provide would be greatly appreciaed.

-Thanks   Bill
TX9 70 Charger RT: 6 pack, 4 speed, A33 Saddle interior, red stripe
EB7 70 Charger RT SE: PS, PB, PW, PSunroof, Defogger, Air, loaded
FC7 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, white longitudinal, black vinyl
EB5 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, B5 interior, white long stripe
EB5 70 Charger RT SE: V code 4speed A34, charcoal interior, loaded
F8 69 Charger: Power Sunroof Car
13 Duramax 2500HD: Tow Rig
17 Durango RT

6pkrtse

1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Ghoste

It is beautiful but if you're going for oe certification at the Nats it has to be perfect.  I would bet Dodge Don has some advice for you.

6pkrtse

I agree, but nothing I will ever own will go for those kind of judged shows. I drive all of my stuff to much & enjoy beating on them.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

nascarxx29

Its all in those little details you still got a nice car
http://1970chargerregistry.com/

http://www.mmcdetroit.com/   reference material

Bill while digging up a daytona ad recently Marc Waller also had a 71 Challenger ad has his number
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

:Twocents:
Fuel pump was bolted to engine when painted same goes for exhaust manifolds .
I believe the brake booster and master cylinder where painted black as one unit

:Twocents: I also have that black plastic cover that snaps on by the brakeline
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Just 6T9 CHGR

Bill, explain what didnt go as expected at this show for you?   After seeing your work in person I didnt think there was a "next level" unless you are going for OE??  :shruggy:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Cooter

Dang, I'm bout 30 min from Monroe Va. Too. Too bad that looks to be an older paper's ad.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

maxwellwedge

Quote from: bad88t-top on August 15, 2012, 09:40:19 PM
Well, This weekends Mopar National show didn't go as expected and I realized after cleaning my car for 3 days I have some area's I need to improve on the 70.   I'm looking to get more detailed on my engine bay and I need your help to do so.  I'm looking for period correct/authentic restoration pictures of the following areas.

Starter Restoration & Pics
Alternator Restoration & Pics
Pic's of the area around the proporationing valve, brake line clip, z-bar, and clips on inner fender for starter wiring
Fuel Pump Pics:   Should pump be painted orange or leave un painted?
Bendix Booster/Master Cylendar finish:   What's correct, Natural master cylendar with black lid or is everything black.
Steering Box factory finish & Pics
Steering Shaft and lower column refinishing Pics

I guess I'm going crazy, not sure a this point.  I figured when I install my manifolds next month I can install the original starter and also refinsih the steering box and column while I'm at it.  I'm also replacing the orignal brake and fuel lines with Stainless prebent from Fine Lines.   I picked them up in columbus this past weekend.   Any help or pictures you can provide would be greatly appreciaed.

-Thanks   Bill

Bill - For things like the starter and alternator - I would send them to Jim at Dixie....lots of detail for the money.

Brake booster, m/cylinder and lid were always painted black as a complete assembly.....semi-gloss 12-25% flat is ok.

Same finish as above on the power steering box, pump and brackets.

I would pass on the s/steel fuel and brake lines....look wrong and some have had trouble with them.

Big block fuel pumps were always painted while installed on engine....exhaust manifolds too. The fittings for the water pump and intake manifold were installed after paint.

bad88t-top

Thanks for the info guys

I agree with alot of you, you can't compete with the restoration shops if you expect to drive your hot rod.  That was my first mistake.

I didn't do the OE judging but did get judged in the show field.  Normally they have a "Street" class which I'm confident I would have done well in but due to the weather they combined the Stock and Street classes leaving me at a disadvantage off the boot.    Mopar Action magazine did take about 20 pictures of my 70 so we'll see what happens.    I"m still waiting to hear something from Mopar Collectors Guide who took pic's last year.   Oh well, eventually it will get published somewhere.

Nascar, great ad.   Marc actually had that car and a brand new 78 Z28 when my dad bought my '70.  Pretty cool history and story.
I actually still have the factory black brake line cover but I dont' have it installed.   Any pictures on where this goes?

I'm in the process of doing the following prior to the Chicago Muscle Car show in November:   Anyone going to browse or show their car?
* Removing high torque starter and restoring original
* Manifolds are Jet Hotted ready to go on w/ wire holders and heat shield
* Broke down and bought the $150 OEM + battery cable
* Removing Chrome Holly Fuel Pump and installing OEM look Carter
* Replacing orignal fuel lines with new Stainless ones from Fine Lines: I experienced no problems with the SS brake lines.
* New Chrome upper pistol grip trim ring replacement: My factory one; the chrome is looking bad
* New antenna trim ring and nut:  Factory one is showing it's age
* Detailing stering column and shaft in engiine bay.

17 Durango RT

bad88t-top

Hey Jim and others,
I"m in the process of doing some detail work to my 70 RT and you appear to really know your stuff here.  I have alot fo things painted that should be plated so I'm in the process of removing and blasting things preparing them for plating.
I want to make sure I'm plating what needs plated and natural is left natural.   Any pics would be great for reference but it's hard to tell what's correct and what isn't.  I plan on zinc plating the following:    Feel free to call at 724-612-5315 if that's easier.

Z bar
clutch linkage rod from steering column
hood and trunk latch plus hardward
all clutch rods/brackets, etc...
lower steering column detail:  bushing, spring clip, shaft to box, etc...
Dana 60 U bolts
Inner door jamb hardware for latch (screws, bolts for window frame)
little clip for spedo cable down by proportioning valve
batter cable holder
washer bottle screws

Also, do you knwo where the correct spot is for a fuel filter?
Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

17 Durango RT

bad88t-top

Does anyone know what the factory finish was on the front and rear lower bumperette bolts?   Silver Cad, Zinc, or Black Phosphate?
17 Durango RT

bad88t-top

Does anyone have a picture where the black plastic snapon cover goes on the brake line near the proportioning valve?  I'm getting close.
Quote from: nascarxx29 on August 16, 2012, 11:43:14 AM
  :Twocents:
Fuel pump was bolted to engine when painted same goes for exhaust manifolds .
I believe the brake booster and master cylinder where painted black as one unit

:Twocents: I also have that black plastic cover that snaps on by the brakeline
17 Durango RT