News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lee1 / Car #71

Started by Tooz 72, October 10, 2012, 05:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

Times change and so do things as well.  I'm just looking to see if he wants to get on here and clarify a few things.  Maybe he has regrets, maybe he doesn't.  Either way, no sense in bashing a guy behind his back.  What he done with parts of Lee 1 is more or less his decision at the time.  Personally, if he wants to come on here and tell his story to me or everyone else, I'm open to hear it.  After words, it's my job to be my own judge.  But, I can't really make an honest assessment without all parties involved.  Otherwise, it's more of a conspiracy.

Ghoste

Oh, I don't know that its behind his back, this is an open forum and he does lurk on here.

JB400

Well, until he chips in,  I'm going to have to say it's behind his back.  I'm not one of those judges that's going to let a defendant sit there in court, and not have the opportunity to properly defend himself.

Ghoste

You will likely have better luck with a pm then I would think.

skip68

The way I see it is like this.   
This is not front page news.  He's well aware of the angry people and if he wanted to make corrections and say it's a misunderstanding it could have been done years ago.   
I think his love for the dukes turned into a business and profit.   It appears he sells items from every TV or movie car.  That tells me right there what it means to him.   Is it possible that we are all wrong and he is somehow a victim in this?  Sure, then he needs to speak up and set the record straight.   He had no problem being very public with this car from the beginning so it should be no problem defending himself once he's being questioned.  Will he come forward?  Most likely not.    I didn't agree with the way his laundry was thrown out about him getting divorced for the second time.   I saw that as a personal attack out of spite.   People get divorces and I could care less if he was divorced 10 times.   Money changes people and once he saw he could start to profit is the point I think it went bad.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

skip68

OK....  Now that I've looked up this car more on this site and the web it makes me truly sick..   The B.S. is ten feet tall on all parties.   The fact is several (AND I MEAN SEVERAL) parts from this car DID NOT NEED TO BE REPLACED.   :flame:   They were savable.   Doors, roof, ect. ect.  Apparently most of this car is not original and my guess (just a guess) is 90% to 95%.   Now, I'm no genius but this in my book is not what I would consider a piece of history anymore.  There is NOT enough of this car to call it the first GENERAL LEE anymore.  Now if the motor truly is the real deal then you can open the hood and people can look at that. But far as looking at the car as a real deal holy grail #1 GENERAL LEE, you're an idiot if you buy into it.  At this point it's just another restored car with some original GENERAL LEE stuff.   I'm sorry but this whole LEE#1 car is BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT.    :flame:   Seems to me that this car is surrounded with lies, bullshit and questionable acts.

Is the new car "Lee#1" a beautiful car ? Yes.  I think the did a good job building that car.  I also think that the original real car was stripped of anything of value and sold for profit and what was left was made into another car for profit.    Now, I'm not saying it was wrong to do this or even make a profit.  It's not my car and they can do what they want with it. BUT, trying to pass this car off as the first GENERAL LEE knowing most of the original historical parts are kept for your collection and or sold is wrong.  

In the end, what we have is a nice "RE-CREATION" of the first General Lee with some of the original parts and history.  And to be honest, other than the dash, VIN and windshield I'm questioning that.  
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Cooter

Didn't Gary S. Put out a tell all thread ove3r to the CGLFC board? i thought I read like three pages of how Lee 1 became and how things began to spiral out of control as soon as money entered the picture?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

Maybe this is just me but I would not have touched the car after it got found.  Personally I hold little historical value to Lee 1 but for those who care about that particular car, why was it not left as is?  If I understand correctly, it drove in the first ep, did the jump, got fixed and turned into the 71 car (no clue why) but at least it has some decent tv history.  Why restore it in the first place?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Dino on October 15, 2012, 12:02:10 PM
Maybe this is just me but I would not have touched the car after it got found.  Personally I hold little historical value to Lee 1 but for those who care about that particular car, why was it not left as is?  If I understand correctly, it drove in the first ep, did the jump, got fixed and turned into the 71 car (no clue why) but at least it has some decent tv history.  Why restore it in the first place?

Cause it was just a heap of crap as it was.    I saw it... wasn't impressed.     TB or whoever got paid a few bux to tow it around to a few DOH / mopar shows and that was the extent of it's profit potential except to sell it to another sucker that would 'invest' a buttload of cash into it.   

I don't really want to get wrapped up in what was the right way or wrong way to fix the car up...    or who profited and who didn't.     People were just capitalizing on the release of the DOH movie which brought back some interest in the old TV series.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

skip68

cdr

Quote from: Dino on October 15, 2012, 12:02:10 PM
:iagree:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

JB400

My recommendation to everyone is type Lee 1 in the search engine on this site and you'll go to all the original threads of when this car was restored.  You will also find that everyone knew at the time the roof was being replaced.  And you'll also find everything mentioned on this thread was also mentioned way back when.  In other words, this thread is a blast from the past.  All we did was knock the cob webs and dust off an old topic.  It seems everyone then knew Lee 1 was going to end up being a rebody, and that the whole outer skin was going to be replaced, even the roof. Jim Shine and Mike are the ones that were doing most of the posting about Lee 1.  I guess the whole hissyfit was the fact that Travis sold the roof and maybe kept a few pieces.  But, does anyone else ask for all the pieces of the body that was replaced off of their own car?  I don't think so, unless they want the salvage off of them to fund their own project.  The only thing I can think of that keeps bringing this subject up is the lack of photographic evidence of the actual condition of Lee 1 before the restoration.  I'm seeing most of the Lee 1 webpages being taken down.

Mike DC

The DOH hobby gave TB more benefit of the doubt than any other 2 or 3 people put together.  

Seriously, I've never seen anyone get so much for so long.