News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How Low Do You Need Be To Steal American Flags From a Cemetary?

Started by Old Moparz, September 19, 2012, 03:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

Apparently only about 8 inches.    :smilielol:

My wife sent me this link to a story & video of missing American flags that a groundhog was caught stealing to bring back to his home. At least it wasn't drunk vandals.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/11/groundhogs-stealing-flags-cedar-park-cemetary_n_1662544.html

Sounds like a job for Bill Murray.   :lol:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the last two years, American flags set on the graves of Civil War soldiers at Cedar Park Cemetery in honor of Independence Day have been mysteriously disappearing. Last year, many of the flags were on the graves of Jewish soldiers and, this year, the missing flags were set on the graves of black soldiers, according to HudsonValley.YNN.com, which angered cemetery caretaker Vincent Wallace.

"I just can't comprehend the mindset that would allow someone to do this," said Wallace, who served in the U.S. Army National Guard for 43 years, to the website.

But after the third incident in a week, law officers set up surveillance cameras in hopes of flagging down the flag-napping culprits. Turns out it's not a person at all, but a groundhog, according to WRGB-TV.

"When the police responded and opened up the surveillance cameras, we were startled to find that a woodchuck was sitting there at the base of the gravestone with an empty flag pole in front of him," Wallace told the station.

Hudson Mayor Bill Hallenbeck was happy to discover that the culprits weren't human. "I'm glad we don't have someone who has taken it upon themselves to desecrate the stones and the flags in front of them," he told the Register Star newspaper.

Apparently, the flags had wooden poles that attracted the groundhogs which are also known as woodchucks, and the city will take steps to have flags with non-wooden stems be placed on graves in the future. Groundhog expert Bob Will, who for decades has adopted sick, injured and unwanted groundhogs and who advocates on behalf of the oft-maligned rodent, hopes that the animals don't get destroyed because of their actions and are instead relocated.

"They really are an animal that doesn't do anything bad, and they shouldn't be destroyed just for the lark of it," Will told the Los Angeles Times.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

ITSA426

4cruzin

Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

mauve66

you would think the cemetary would do the investigating instead of real cops who could be looking for larger criminals though
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Ghoste

But the cemetary taxes pay for police same as yours or mine, are they not entitled to the same service?

JB400

Let's compromise .......Joint investigation

Not that kind :2thumbs:

Old Moparz

Some people get pretty upset over desecration of a grave, so I don't blame anyone for taking it that seriously. The police treated it as vandalism & theft, they had no idea it was a big rodent.   :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

mauve66

served my time and i'm as patriotic as anyone but i want the cops to investigate serious crimes.  yes i do consider this serious but if someone was stealing the flag from in front of my house i would set up cameras and get some documentation for them to persue before i would think about wasting the cops time just to monitor the cameras and try to arrive on the scene to catch them in the act.  around here they won't even take fingerprints after someone breaks into your car to try to catch them so why spend resources on an 8 inch flag before you figure out what is going on
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Ghoste

I fully understand what you are saying but can you imagine the outcry if the cemetary or the relatives who placed the flags had asked the police to investigate and they responded with something like "sorry but its an 8 inch flag in a cemetary, you monitor it and get some proof first for us to pursue and in the meantime we are going to spend our time watching out for more serious crimes"?

mauve66

i wouldn't ask the police, you pay for the cemetary to secure its property first
just saying, their are pedophiles and serial killers out there i would rather use the cops to catch first, the security guard for the cemetary can figure this out
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Old Moparz

But what if that had been a Jewish cemetery & it was discovered that the ground hog had ties to some local neo-nazi group & the cops didn't investigate? The media would have crucified the police dept.  :Twocents:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

ACUDANUT

It's pretty low to do that. However, the dead don't seem to care.

Old Moparz

Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 29, 2012, 08:04:40 PM
It's pretty low to do that. However, the dead don't seem to care.

You have to be low to be a ground hog or you get stuck in the hole.   :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry