News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much less is a non matching numbers Daytona Worth?

Started by johnnyseville, September 18, 2012, 05:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyseville

I have a guy locally that has a beautiful Daytona, all detailed top to bottom, only problem, original engine, 440,  was blown years ago and another was dropped in.  All other numbers match except motor.  On average how much less percentage wise is this worth over a full matching number car in the exact same condition, 10%, 20% or ???, less?  Should I just keep looking, any advice appreciated, thanks.
too many to list!

hemi68charger

Personally, I think people are crazy to blow off high pedigree Mopars because the original motor is gone. Heck, there wasn't a bunch of these things made to begin with and then add the natural attrition rate of motors blowing, then you narrow the number even more on "numbers matching" high-end Mopars.. Ultimately, it's "too each their own".... But, if you find something that suites your needs and wants, looks great and you sacrifice it for another car with less desireable features, you're doing yourself a disservice. Now, if you need to have the original motor, then yes, it wouldn't be right to buy it. If you put two Hemi-Superbirds next to each other in the exactly same condition and one has its original motor at 100K versus one without its original motor at 90K, ok.. I can see that. But, if you want an original Sublime Hemi-Superbird but it doesn't have its original block and you give that up for an original Tor-Red Hemi-Superbird in which you don't like the color,,,, you're crazy... Life is too short..... No one's going to crawl under the dang car to check the numbers and if they do, kick 'em in the tush and tell them to get out from under your car..  ;D
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

JB400

I'm going to speak for anyone and everyone,  If you have the chance to any Daytona, and you want it, DON'T HESITATE TO GET IT!!!!!   Early bird gets the worm.  Nmn Daytonas aint going to make that much of a difference to anyone unless you are a die hard purest. 

Aero426

There is no set number to use for non-numbers versus numbers.   In an apples to apples comparison of identical cars, maybe 15 to 20 percent is appropriate.   However, these cars do not exist in a perfect world.    I myself would prefer a clean NOM car with a known history and its original body panels over a numbers matching restored car that was rusty.     A rare color or a 4-speed might push you over the edge for a car without its original engine.     So it all depends on the car,  and each one must be evaluated on its own, as well as comparing it to the other cars that might be on the market.  

WINGIN IT

As Doug said, if  you are comparing exactly equipped vehicles ,  I think a fair difference is  about15% - 20%.
I wouldn't rule out a car with a non-matching motor or tranny, but I wouldn't expect to pay a premium for it either.
Depends on what other options you are looking for, as mentioned, ie a  4 speed , or Hemi car, or certain color combo, etc... :Twocents:

FJ5WING

welcome to the site Johnnyseville!!

I guess it depends on the reason youre buying the daytona....Are you buying low with plans on enjoying it a short while and then selling or flipping outright or buying for the long haul?

as a new member theres one thing to remember,

PICTURES - PICTURES -PICTURES! :nana:
wingless now, but still around.

69_500

I would think if everything else is even then the non-numbers car would be $15k to $20k cheaper. Then again I do not have one so I myself am hoping it holds true. Then again I would take pretty much any Daytona at this point including Pettybirds car.

Ghoste

Its really only a question the buyer can answer anyway.

WINGIN IT

So what's the color and tranny in the one you're looking at ?
Do you have an idea of what he's asking for it?

41husk

They are all worth what some one is willing pay.  I would love to have a real bird or Daytona.  #s or not, but can't afford either :brickwall:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

cdr

to me just to have a daytona would be the issue ! i couldent care less if it was a #s matching car ,maybe one day troys car will be in my garage :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Ghoste

For the most part thats how I feel too.  If I were paying all the money though for the best one out there I would want numbers and documents like crazy.  How much more constitutes all the money I don't know, I've never been in that position.

johnnyseville

Thank you so much guys for taking the time to offer your advice.  First I am looking to hold on to this, not looking to buy and sell. I currently have a 1969 Hemi Charger R/T, all numbers matching for many years, but have gotten the itch lately for a Daytona. I am just trying to make an informed decision and not overpay just because I like it, I used to do that when I was younger.   I never really considered a non matching numbers car, but they are getting very hard to find, so I was wondering how much the non matching engine kills the value.  I may some day want to sell it and don't want to find out then that I overpaid.  I just want to make sure I pay what it is worth.  I know it hurts the value, but not sure by how much, but you have given me a good idea. 
too many to list!

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr