News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HEI Unit

Started by Bsrob, September 10, 2012, 12:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bsrob

I have a 318 that was rebuilt. 30 over and a mild cam put in it. Stock 318 heads and a holley 600 on it. I've tried the timing in several different places. I have this popping through the carb and hesitation when u go to rev it. The top of the distributor will shock you when u try to turn it. A friend called it spark knocking? I don't remember it shocking you before when it was a points Ignition. I have an Accel Super Stock 42000 volt coil on it. 2 wires from the HEI distributor ...red to pos side of coil. Black to neg side of coil. Its a ready to run Distributor and said i could do away with the ballest resistor. I have the ballest resistor out of the picture and those wires are all wired together to complete that circuit. And Idle and reving it setting still it does much better. When you go to drive it and take off under a load it spits and sputters awful but doesnt' die. I swear i think im not getting enough fire or it could be a grounding issue. Sometimes its a pop through the carb. Sometimes its a flame.. Help!!!

Ghoste

I think its a timing issue.  For some reason its firing when a valve is open.  You're certian the dist is plugged in the right way?  (oh, and spark knock is a somewhat inaccurate term used to describe preignition or detonation)

Bsrob

Quote from: Ghoste on September 10, 2012, 06:25:27 AM
I think its a timing issue.  For some reason its firing when a valve is open.  You're certian the dist is plugged in the right way?  (oh, and spark knock is a somewhat inaccurate term used to describe preignition or detonation)

I have the timing right now at 1 degree before top dead center. I have found that the more I advance it the car runs hotter and when its turned off it has been known to spin backwards.
This link is the cam i have in the car.
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=625&sb=2

the guy at the motor shop said when i time the motor i wanna bring it up to like 1300 or 1400 rpm and time it there... why is that? Does this mean when i drop the idle back down the initial timing at idle will show it retarded more?   

The Distributer is this : http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/detail.aspx?Item=6713-R

Like i said before. I am using an Accel Coil and the 2 wires from the distributer is goin to the coil. The ballist resistor is just wired together and gotten rid of. So i just completed the circuit... I think its something to do with the distributor. The car was originally a single points style distributer... would that make any difference? I was starting to wonder if I dont' have enough grounds on my motor. The only one it had before was from the battery negative to the front of the block. 

Again any help on this anyone can put forth would be very appreciated!!

Ghoste

Is the distributor drive plugged in where it needs to be though?

Bsrob

Quote from: Ghoste on September 11, 2012, 05:30:47 AM
Is the distributor drive plugged in where it needs to be though?

Distributor drive? im not sure what you mean. Before i put distributor in i turned motor till it was on its compression stroke on the number one piston at TDC. Then dropped it in there at did my plug wires accordingly.

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Bsrob

Quote from: Cooter on September 11, 2012, 11:04:05 AM
LA, or Poly 318?

LA motor. I had the car out today actually... I find that under a load ... not much happens besides it missing horribley. I gave it about a 3000 rpm rev let out on the clutch and it just popped through carb again. Again tho if its idling its fine. Starts fine too. I've tried the timing many diff ways. Im thinking i need to try more grounds for the motor????

Bsrob

I think im on to something....  My coil im using is the old canister style. Its an Accel. I think its 42000 volts or something? Anyway i was doing some reading it seems i need to get an E core Coil? if im reading right My HEI distributor needs a good deal of power to operate right. I may get a E coil and see if that makes any difference. Any thoughts?