News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Keeping your Charger in a controlled environment

Started by Ghoste, November 05, 2012, 03:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

How many store their Charger in a controlled environment facility?  If you do, is it just heated and cooled or do you try and control the humidity as well?  Is humidity control that big a deal or overkill?

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

IMO, humidity control (and pest control) are the two biggest things to worry about  :Twocents:

Ghoste

Agreed, but as I was thinking about it I don't know of too many that look after the humidity part.  I know I don't.

triple_green

I do not have a garage. I do have a three sided carport. From Oct-Apr I use an RV dryer to keep the inside of the car humidity down. If it snows, I also put a car  cover over the car, as the snow can blow inside the carport, a little.

When I am workinfg on the car and it is cold, even though I am dry, I wish I had a garage.

Mark
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Ghoste

Daytona R/T SE

My garage is well insulated.

Heated in the winter,

I keep the thermostat between 50 and 55 degrees unless I'm out there and then I crank it up to 70 or so.

Window A/C unit to cool it off when I'm working out there in the summer time.

Dehumidifier runs all year long.

plum500

My garage is as controlled as I can get it. I've insulated the attic, the big door, seals are as tight as I can get them everywhere, and I have added insulation to the outside wall. Painted the big door white, and put a big whirly vent on the roof. I run a ceiling fan on low for constant air circulation - the summer time in particular...and I run a dehumidifier, that I just switched off last week as the RH hasn't gone above 30% now that the cold air is coming. ...I'll run the dehumidifier if I am out their working though... people heat can create condensation and bump the RH up pretty quickly. It's a low temp dehumidifier too, so, if it feels like I should run it in the winter...I will...

It can be pretty foggy, rainy and damp outside, and it feels nice and dry inside. It's as cool and dry as I can get it without AC in the summer, and warm and dry as I can get it in the winter. Certainly warm enough, one of those tiny space heaters takes the chill off in a few minutes.

odcics2

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on November 05, 2012, 08:15:40 AM
IMO, humidity control (and pest control) are the two biggest things to worry about  :Twocents:

:2thumbs:

In my garage, have metal I cut 15 years ago without any rust on it.  If your cement wasn't poured over plastic, seal it with epoxy or a similar product.  Most moisture comes from the ground and a lot of guys over look that.   As stated above - ventilation in the 'attic' is a must.     Watch the dew point as well as the humidity.  With a dewpoint in the 30s, feel free to air it out.     I don't run a dehumidifier. 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

triple_green

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on November 05, 2012, 07:42:34 PM
My garage is well insulated.

Heated in the winter,

I keep the thermostat between 50 and 55 degrees unless I'm out there and then I crank it up to 70 or so.

Window A/C unit to cool it off when I'm working out there in the summer time.

Dehumidifier runs all year long.

I do something very similar.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

Ghoste

Mark, do you find the sonic pest control works well?

lloyd3

Pest control is critical. I once drove a newly restored 1970 Chevelle SS396 from western Pennsylvania down to Spring Carlisle.  Everything was great until I turned on the AC. Mice had taken up residence in the duct system and had turned it into their latrine and the smell was way bad!  The car sold, but at a bit of a discount for just that reason. 

HeavyFuel

The biggest pest in my garage is my wife.......she leaves the garage door that leads to our hottub open.   Chlorine, you know.   

I think she got the message.  :slap:

triple_green

All the reviews say the ultra sonic pest controls cannot be proven as working as they say. But, my neighbors on both sides have rat problems and I have none. I have pest control units plugged in in both carports.

Ghoste

My only pest control has been ten pounds of tom but so far he has done a good job.

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on November 07, 2012, 11:48:03 AM
My only pest control has been ten pounds of tom but so far he has done a good job.
IMO that's the best one there is, besides a black snake.  Try letting one of those roam around when the mrs. is home :D  No, I don't have snakes running loose in my place, I hope

UH60L

I wish I had a real shop to keep my car in, but I'm stuck with what is considered a modern "two car" garage.  I park my new car 8 inches away from my '69, and if it's raining that means the new car comes in wet and thus, humidity in the garage etc.  (and of course if the furnace or the water heater go, I'm just gonna cry....)

If I get my finances straight in a few years, I swear, I'm moving to the country and putting up a shop!

Back N Black

I have a 2 car garage, door open and close all the time.Not much i can do about it.  :shruggy:

Cooter

General sits in a closed in car port thingy beside CHRISTINE. Yep, humidity and rats are a b*tch, but I ain't got the coin for a big ass shop. Never will i guess. Just one dem things I'll never have.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

JB400

Quote from: Cooter on November 10, 2012, 10:33:56 PM
General sits in a closed in car port thingy beside CHRISTINE. Yep, humidity and rats are a b*tch, but I ain't got the coin for a big ass shop. Never will i guess. Just one dem things I'll never have.
You do at least have a concrete floor don't you?

Cooter

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 11, 2012, 02:17:25 AM
Quote from: Cooter on November 10, 2012, 10:33:56 PM
You do at least have a concrete floor don't you?

Concrete? What's that? Is that those little thingy's they call #57's? Come in a Huge Dumptruck and they spread 'em for you?

Nope, no concrete here. Country living.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"