News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 speed console wiring

Started by bull, August 26, 2012, 11:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I've got a new M&H harness and my original console light harness (as well as the light sockets and pigtail) but I can't figure out how to mate the intermediate harness to the new harness. The 4 speed harnesses have one pink female socket and two yellow wires that tie into each other (as seen on right below) but there's nothing I can find to hook them to. I mean it says right on the schematic that the pink one goes to the courtesy lamp feed on the instrument panel... um, what/where is that? The second one has a plug to the "instrument panel wiring" (can they be more vague?) and the second yellow wire of course goes to the right side door switch (that one's been cut). At least I know what the door switch wire is so I'm 1/3 of the way there, although I'm not sure how it ties into the door switch wire. :brickwall:

The automatic harnesses tie in to a plug near the left kick panel but there's no plug there on mine, and I assume that's the case on all 4 speed 68s. Any help would be appreciated.

Mopar Nut

Call M&H, the number is inside your wiring packaging. Great customer service, leave a message if they don't answer, they will call back.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Ghoste

Is it further along the harness Bull, like nearer to the driver door opening?

bull

Was on the phone with Bob Smith of Smith Bros for at least an hour going through it last night and we finally figured out the pink wire at least. I found an extra pink lead coming off the fuse box on my old harness that the new one doesn't have. Now I just need to figure out where the yellow one goes.

I'll call M&H today too. I've done that before and it helped IIRC.

elacruze

My manual says the yellow wire M2-18Y goes to the instrument panel dimmer switch top post. One yellow to R. door switch, one yellow to dome lamp harness connector.

The center post is power in from the fuse block on tan wire.

The lower post is black wire to headlamp switch and dark green to 'Z' firewall connector.

Pink wire from fuses shows going to dome lamp harness next to M2-18Y yellow.

Somewhere in between has to be the plug for the console interface.

It's very confusing and I recall having some trouble sorting mine out-at the end of the day I had one unused plug under the dash that matched my intermediate harness. The plug in the console has 6 terminals, and the final lamp harness has a 6 term plug as well as a white and violet with individual terminals for the reverse switch. The manual is either incomplete or indecipherable.

I pulled my ashtray hoping to find a photo op, but the A/C ducts are all in the way. I think if you follow the door switch wire back upstream you'll come across a plug tapped into the circuit going to the dimmer. It will have yellow, violet, black, orange and pink wires.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

bull

Thanks. With the help of you guys, the Smith Bros. and an electrical guru at work I got it figured out today. The deal is that the double yellow pigtail in the console harness acts as a go-between. On non-console cars the yellow door switch lead from the main harness simply plugs into the driver's side door switch but on console cars the rubber female M2-18Y connector in the console harness plugs into the door swich lead and from there the other M2-18Y male lead with the male plug (the one that comes back out of that rubber plug) goes into the door switch. So basically the yellow wire (or wires) simply ties into the door switch circuit and uses the same ground that is created by the switch. And of course the pink power lead goes to the fuse box.

Am I making sense?

poppa

First,who's m&h?? Second,I've been watching this as I am going through the same thing. On mine the actual light harness is less than a foot long , and has a 4 terminal connector. It has a yellow , pink , orange and black wire. Black is ground , orange and pink go to a 2 terminal housing that plugs in to it's mate coming from my dash. The yellow one I have no idea where it goes. I'm guessing from this I am suppose to tie it into the door jam switch?? Any pics of this "tie in" ?? Thanks and glad you got yours figured out.
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

bull

Quote from: poppa on August 29, 2012, 08:52:46 PM
First,who's m&h?? Second,I've been watching this as I am going through the same thing. On mine the actual light harness is less than a foot long , and has a 4 terminal connector. It has a yellow , pink , orange and black wire. Black is ground , orange and pink go to a 2 terminal housing that plugs in to it's mate coming from my dash. The yellow one I have no idea where it goes. I'm guessing from this I am suppose to tie it into the door jam switch?? Any pics of this "tie in" ?? Thanks and glad you got yours figured out.

Is yours auto or four speed? There's quite a difference.

M&H is the company that makes OE copies of the factory harnesses and sells them through Year One.

bull

Here's some pics that might help. Again, this is four speed only which is much different than the auto console setup.

Pic 1: How I originally had it with the main harness ground wire plugged directly into the door switch. This is how non-console cars are wired.
Pic 2: The 4 speed console harness.
Pic 3: Feed the yellow male end of the console harness through the door switch hole, plug it into the door switch and install. The main harness ground wire is now unplugged from the door switch and in my hand.
Pic 4: Door switch is installed and the main harness ground wire is then plugged into the rubber female connector. The pink power wire is then connected to the feed from the fuse box.

bull

The only thing that bothers me about this is that the schematics say the lead to the door switch is supposed to go to the passenger door, not the driver door. Not sure why/if it matters which door switch you tie into but that lead was cut on my console harness so it couldn't reach the driver side without extending it.

poppa

Mines a 4 speed too (at least now it is). I'll take a pic tonight when I get home. My pink wire is thicker , same as my orange one.

So if I make a "T" for my yellow , I should be ok??

bull

Quote from: poppa on August 30, 2012, 07:45:25 AM
Mines a 4 speed too (at least now it is). I'll take a pic tonight when I get home. My pink wire is thicker , same as my orange one.

So if I make a "T" for my yellow , I should be ok??

Yours shouldn't be any thicker if it's stock. The schematics say it's supposed to be 18 gauge. But if you started out with an auto trans you will have more going on with your console harness. Those have a neutral safety switch, an indicator light and a six wire connector. Four speed harnesses don't have all that.

You could just get some bullet connectors and build your own harness. A regular bullet connector plugs right into the door switch. The hardest part I'm dealing with right now is finding 18 gauge pink wiring. Oddly, pink is not a popular color. ;D

poppa

I think I have some pink wire,but I think it's 12g. Try Terminal supply,you might have to buy 50 ft though.

bull

Quote from: poppa on August 30, 2012, 07:47:41 PM
I think I have some pink wire,but I think it's 12g. Try Terminal supply,you might have to buy 50 ft though.

I found a 50-ft roll on Ebay for $6/free shipping. Not sure what I'd do with the other 47 feet, except maybe make up some extra harnesses. That would be kind of fun. My console power supply wire is pretty corroded so I'd like to rebuild that one at least.

A383Wing

Bull....how much "pink" wire do you actually need? I got harness's up here I could cut some out of. Send me a PM if ya want to

or try Waytec Wire

Bryan

bull

Thanks but I want new wire. I've seen too much old wiring corroded up inside the insulation.