News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

will a 440 from a motor home bolt into my 68 Charger

Started by troy.70R/T, August 25, 2012, 09:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

Well like the title says. Will a 440 from a motor Home bolt into my 68 Charger? The Charger is a 68 R/T so it does have the 440 K frame. I know the motor home 440  will probably be low compression, but I thought that the motor mount ears were thicker on heavy duty 440s. I was just wondering if it would be a problem. I know the oil pan will need to be changed. I will also swap out the cam, intake and carb as well. I also thought that the heavy duty 440; had thicker webbing at the main bearings. I read a nice article on 440 a few years ago but not I cant find it :brickwall: well any input would be helpfull.

c00nhunterjoe

There have been all kinds of stories about webbing and bore differences. It depends on who you ask. I have read it different everywhere I look. The way I look at it. Its a 440, have fun with it. I seriuosly doubt you will ever have a block problem unless you are building a 1000 hp blower motor.  The motor should bolt right in, the transmissions are different because of the tailshaft park brake.  The accessory brackets are most likely different but not a big deal to swap out. The water pump housing may or may not be on the correct side for you. But again, easy swaps.

Here is one good read.
http://www.440source.com/blockinfo.htm

troy.70R/T

thanks. so is the steal part of the motor mount that bolts to the ears on the block the same on all 440s?

c00nhunterjoe

Added a link to some good info with pics. As far s I know the mounts are the same but I could be wrong. I put a 78 motorhome440 in a friend's car and the motor mounts bolted to it with no problem.

FLG

Block wise youll be fine, some have odd wp/heads setups. Also make sure its a 440 and not a 413  :2thumbs:

troy.70R/T

Thanks oldtimer and Coonhunterjoe. that is the article that I read years ago and now I have it saved again. :2thumbs:

FLG

Its acutally FLG, the old timer thing is cause i spend my life on here  :rofl:

troy.70R/T

Chryco Psycho

the smaller motorhomes had 400s the bigger ones had Industrial 413 with very different heads
the 440s are not problem

troy.70R/T