News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Garage wheel guides/stops how many of you use them? Advice needed

Started by XH29N0G, August 19, 2012, 10:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

Will someone give me recommendations on wheel stops and on any contraption that would help me guide the car into the garage itself.  The door is only slightly wider than the car.

I will be bringing my car home shortly and realize that a big hazzard will be puting it in/pulling it out of my garage.  I need advice.

The situation:  My house was built in the 1950's and has a 1 car garage that is barely wide enough to pull the car in (if I pull in on one side, I can squeeze out the door with my leg being pinched between the open door and the body) and barely long enough to fit the car (there are about 6 inches to spare when the car is in - not enough to cross in front of or behind the car if the door is closed).  Before getting the body restored, I would pull the nose in, turn off the car, and put it in neutral to push it in by hand.  I see myself still doing this.  I would like to have a guide that keeps the car mostly centered (sort of like on a trailer), and a stop to stop the car so it does not hit the back wall.  I put carpet in key spots on the walls this week.  Other advice appreciated.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

stripedelete

I have the same issue with the garage in which I will be storing my charger.  I find it easier to pull in and back out, consentrating on keeping the drivers side as close as possible.  As for length, I plan to put in a header on the back wall and knock out the studs to give the nose of the car a couple of more inches.  Much like framing out a window or door but never cutting out the siding.  Maybe you could use that to give you a couple more inches to open the door as well.  I also plan to tap-con some wheel chocks in the floor to keep from bumping the front.  (and then I plan to remodel my home - because I'm not allowed to rebuild the garage until after that happens ;))

twodko

All these ideas are good ones......everything covered and then some IMO. A couple pieces of 2x4 shot into the floor for positive stops is tops as is pulling a couple studs. I'm lucky to have a garage 25' deep but I still hang a tennis ball from the ceiling that just touches the WS when I've pulled in enough. I also found a pair of those hard plastic yellow wheel pads on CL that have a lip on the front and another on the back. I slow drive over the from lip and gently let my car settle between the two for a perfect park, your biggest scare is the narrow entrance. Don't know what to suggest there other than uber caution.  :shruggy:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

oldcarnut

Just thinking out loud and may sound a little much but what if you could use four of those garage door safety beams lengthwise?   Before you pull it in the garage attach a felt covered magnet with a paddle cut to your needs to a specific place on the fender,bumper, or whereever and just watch for the beam light to break to keep steering straight.  Shouldn't cost that much and no boards punched into the concrete.  Could use it on the end also.
I use the hanging tennis ball too

myk

Hanging tennis ball to let you know if you're pulling in too far...

General_01

Definitely think about putting a service door in where you will be opening the car door. If you put it in the right spot, you can open that up so after the car is in, you can open the Charger door more to get in/out and you won't have to squeeze down the side of the car to get out of the garage. For length, just put a tennis ball hanging down from the ceiling or some type of wheel chock system on the floor. Gotta use your eyes for the width.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: jfarquha on August 19, 2012, 10:08:38 AM

Other advice appreciated.

Looks like you have only three options: Build a new garage, find a place to store it or move to a house with a larger garage. Parking it in your existing garage is not an option because you know that eventually, "something" is going to happen.

XH29N0G

Thanks all.  I like the suggestions  :cheers:

Unfortunately the service door and moving are not in the cards, so I will work with the other ideas to make a workable, but maybe not ideal, solution.   
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....