News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Overhaulin and west coast customs....

Started by 1974dodgecharger, August 11, 2012, 08:09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

They make some great cars for ordinary folks who cant afford a super nice 100k plus car, but my question lies with. Has any of those folks who had a complete build up car sold  their cars for money?

I know that one show where they build a complete home for you for FREE folks have taken the money out and then foreclosed on it and still had the cash in hand  ::) and claim their broke.

Same thing for those car shows? stories?

projectanimal

That is a great comparison to the "extreme home makeover" but it seems to me that on overhauled they usually grab someone's dream and make it a reality, so I'd say there is less chance of a sale.  The houses are usually nice houses but not the same as your baby rotting away in the garage and then given a second chance! 
I cErtainly enjoy the car shows more!   :2thumbs:
Good topic!  :cheers:
northwest CT

twodko

What they don't tell you is you have to pay the taxes on the money "they" spend to rebuild your car/house.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Indygenerallee

Yep you have to pay all the taxes on all the parts and labor since labor and paint jobs are taxed... Nothing in this world is free....
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Budnicks

Quote from: Indygenerallee on August 11, 2012, 12:00:31 PM
Yep you have to pay all the taxes on all the parts and labor since labor and paint jobs are taxed... Nothing in this world is free....
That's still a deal in my eyes, but I like to build my own stuff, house &/or cars, even if it does take me way, way longer, than the TV show premise, it would be cool to have done though, if I could participate in the build, with them & I could keep all my old parts...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Kern Dog

The tax man is a greedy bastard. They have even tried to TAX the medals awarded to the olympians.

Budnicks

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on August 11, 2012, 12:13:47 PM
The tax man is a greedy bastard. They have even tried to TAX the medals awarded to the olympians.
not to get off subject here, but... From my understanding, Them greedy bastards, They are taxing the $25k prize money, that comes with winning a Gold Medal, or the $15k for Silver, or the $5k for Bronze, as earned income @ like a 28% tax rate, or something like those #'s... I think they should wave the taxes, on the prize money as earnings... Breathing, eating, drinking, getting rid of bodily waste {you pay taxes on all of them also} & the tax man are all unavoidable, to survive in the U.S. anyway...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

mauve66

yes, those people sell those cars, the 66 they did here in vegas used almost all the ideas i had sent in to them but this 18 yr old kid had his grandmas car soooooo, during the show you could tell he had no idea what a charger was, after the show the car has appeared in texas and somewhere else for sale for $125K, ok, rant over........ for now :RantExplode:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: mauve66 on August 11, 2012, 03:00:32 PM
yes, those people sell those cars, the 66 they did here in vegas used almost all the ideas i had sent in to them but this 18 yr old kid had his grandmas car soooooo, during the show you could tell he had no idea what a charger was, after the show the car has appeared in texas and somewhere else for sale for $125K, ok, rant over........ for now :RantExplode:

Thats what I was wondering I have it on netflix and I just finished the 66 charger show one they did at sema for the kid (at time did it 16) and YEAH you could tell he didnt know what the fck the charger was or anything just a car to him. No offense at 16 majority of the kids dont give a crap what they have unless some friend tells them they are cool or something. He just said, 'thanks' and what not.

Wow did he really sell it? Thats really sad it was passed on as a family tradition from his grandma!

As for the taxes I would rather pay taxes for a complete rebuild on a charger than say I have to pay taxes, labor, and parts for a complete restore. Taxes to me are cheaper than those 3 combined and cant forget my time. It would take what over a year for a complete rebuild vs 7 days for them VERY WELL WORTH IT!!!!!

Indygenerallee

Also those "Expert" restorations that took place in 7 days are RUSHED!! I have heard horror stories about the paint jobs, Sandscratch swelling at the top of the list.... You cannot complete a quality build in 7 days I don't care who you are! A month maybe, a week NO!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

twodko

Cash is king guys. I never pay by check/CC if I can pay cash.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

stripedelete

Quote from: Budnicks on August 11, 2012, 12:33:19 PM
Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on August 11, 2012, 12:13:47 PM
not to get off subject here, but... From my understanding, Them greedy bastards, They are taxing the $25k prize money, that comes with winning a Gold Medal, or the $15k for Silver, or the $5k for Bronze, as earned income @ like a 28% tax rate, or something like those #'s... I think they should wave the taxes, on the prize money as earnings... Breathing, eating, drinking, getting rid of bodily waste {you pay taxes on all of them also} & the tax man are all unavoidable, to survive in the U.S. anyway...

They are taxing the prize money, as they should be.  If you or I won $25K we would taxed.  At least the Olympians can take all of their training expenses against it and at the end of the year not pay a dime.

Kern Dog

Sounds like a leftie to me. ^^^
Yeah... compete for your COUNTRY and get penalized for doing well. GREAT idea!
Good thing that a few decent politicians are trying to repeal that law. Olympic competition should be in a different category compared to gambling or raffle gains.

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on August 11, 2012, 06:35:40 PM
Good thing that a few decent politicians are trying to repeal that law. Olympic competition should be in a different category compared to gambling or raffle gains.

You get money you pay taxes on it, unless your last name is Romney. :nana:

BBD

stripedelete

Not so fast comrad,

They won prize money and like anyone else are subject to tax.   Their mileage driving back and fourth to practice alone will negate any tax bill, not to mention training expenses, shoes, plane flights, special foods etc.  

Your decent politician is simply grandstanding for your vote.   He needs to get back to work, this place is pretty effd-up.

Remember, these guys are playing games for our country,,,not getting shot at.

Hey LeBron, thanks for showing up.  Here's $25K tax free.   Btw, could you follow your shot next time? :shruggy:  

mauve66

Quote from: stripedelete on August 11, 2012, 07:28:43 PM

Not so fast comrad,

They won prize money and like anyone else are subject to tax.   Their mileage driving back and fourth to practice alone will negate any tax bill, not to mention training expenses, shoes, plane flights, special foods etc.  

Your decent politician is simply grandstanding for your vote.   He needs to get back to work, this place is pretty effd-up.

Hey LeBron, thanks for showing up.  Here's $25K tax free.   Btw, could you follow your shot next time? :shruggy:  

now that was funny :yesnod:

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Patronus

Quote from: stripedelete on August 11, 2012, 07:28:43 PM

Not so fast comrad,

Amen brother, get back to work indeed!
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Kern Dog

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on August 11, 2012, 07:25:09 PM

BBD
[/quote

Cute. I guess YOU wouldn't take advantage of all the LEGAL loopholes woven into the tax code? Don't like it? REVISE the tax code.
Nothing illegal was done. If it was, the IRS and Dems would be all over it.

67440chrg

A friend of mine bought the silver Monte Carlo done on over haulin.  It sold for less then I would have thought. Foose and his buddies took a crate small block chevy and put a torbo on it . It ran good but before long had blow by so bad it would almost blow the oil fill cap off. The guy they did it for did not deserve it. He drove the crap out of it and beat the crap out of it. My friend is saving the stripes Foose put on and redoing all the rest of the car better then they did.

billfury

I've heard I think it was west cost custom that did a dodge magnum and put a 300 nose on it that the lady sold it after the show. I think it got ugly and caused a big problem.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: 67440chrg on August 11, 2012, 11:42:46 PM
A friend of mine bought the silver Monte Carlo done on over haulin.  It sold for less then I would have thought. Foose and his buddies took a crate small block chevy and put a torbo on it . It ran good but before long had blow by so bad it would almost blow the oil fill cap off. The guy they did it for did not deserve it. He drove the crap out of it and beat the crap out of it. My friend is saving the stripes Foose put on and redoing all the rest of the car better then they did.

Anoither question I guess I will never understand is how they choose these people for car make overs? Rushed job or not the cars look great, sand blasted, painted, etc...you cant go wrong with the build in general. The owner can then tweak it later to his liking, but seriously they get new front ends, new rear ends, new motor, etc...YES its rushed and NO its not tweaked, but hell if I got my car overhauled I would not drive the bat shit it out of right away knowing how the show is made I would tweak it here and there.

YES alot of folks when I watch they are thinking, 'im gonna sell this and make me some money' you can just tell by their reactions. The really emotional ones DO NOT SELL THEIR VEHICLES serioulsy I saw guys cry on this show due to their love for cars and then I saw kids who said, 'cool' and you know it meant nothing to them emotionally the cars themselves.

Tilar

BBD

Wow, sounds like if he loses the election, at least he'll be a prime candidate for the next cabinet position.   :2thumbs:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on August 11, 2012, 11:26:45 PM

BBD
[/quote

Cute. I guess YOU wouldn't take advantage of all the LEGAL loopholes woven into the tax code? Don't like it? REVISE the tax code.
Nothing illegal was done. If it was, the IRS and Dems would be all over it.

Just like the whole 'Kenya' thing........lol

BBD