News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2nd start-up of fresh 493, with open X-pipe (video!).

Started by Ranman69SE, July 18, 2012, 09:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranman69SE

This is right after cam break-in.  I've swapped the cast iron manifolds for the new TTI headers, and exhaust is open after the X-pipe.  I have a starter button mounted on the fender well (in case you are wondering who is hitting the starter!).   Hope it's not too boring!

http://youtu.be/aD9W6B3Hhjg

All is not well, though.  Since this video, I've installed the gas tank and routed new fuel lines, installed the wiring and am close to turn-key operation.  I've been chasing down a problem of zero fuel pressure and found that this new motor with zero miles on it, decided to eat the fuel pump push rod.  I am terrified at the possibility that some cam lobes may be affected as well (solid lifter Comp Cam, used their break-in oil at cam run-in and at second oil change).  More details at a later post..... :-\

'69 Charger SE 493
'65 Pontiac GTO 6.5 Liter Tripower 4-spd convertible
'78 Ford F250 4x4 SuperCab 460
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'91 Yamaha FJ1200

General_01

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

firefighter3931

The motor sounds great Randy ! Is that the XS282S Comp in your 493 ?

Mancini carries a bronze tipped fuel pump pushrod. I'm guessing you have the MP pushrod in there now ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ranman69SE

Ron, the cam is a custom grind that you recommended.  :yesnod:   Lobe specs #6057/6059 which equates to gross lift of .520 int., .541 ex., duration @ .050  244 int., 252 ex.,  and 112 degrees of lobe separation.  Not sure how close that comes to the XS282.   So far, I love it!  Not too cold blooded, great throttle response and just enough lope to make me want to forget about installing a stereo!

I won't say where I got the fuel pump push rod, but it was cheap and surely manufactured overseas.  I have the bronze tipped one on order.  Hope the bad rod didn't damage the lobe on the cam.
'69 Charger SE 493
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'91 Yamaha FJ1200

Is that an off the shelf X pipe? Rarely have I seen one that crosses at 90*

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ranman69SE on July 19, 2012, 12:05:47 AM
Ron, the cam is a custom grind that you recommended.  :yesnod:   Lobe specs #6057/6059 which equates to gross lift of .520 int., .541 ex., duration @ .050  244 int., 252 ex.,  and 112 degrees of lobe separation.  Not sure how close that comes to the XS282.   So far, I love it!  Not too cold blooded, great throttle response and just enough lope to make me want to forget about installing a stereo!

I won't say where I got the fuel pump push rod, but it was cheap and surely manufactured overseas.  I have the bronze tipped one on order.  Hope the bad rod didn't damage the lobe on the cam.

Hi Randy, that is basicly the XS282S with a slightly wider LSA....the shelf cam comes with a 110lsa and yours has a 112* lobe center. It will idle nice...especially with 493 ci. Glad to hear you like it !  :icon_smile_big:

I'd drain the oil and strain it through a paper towel or coffee filter to check for metal. Get a new oil filter on it and cut open the old one to check for metal particles. I doubt you did any damage to the fuel pump lobe on the cam because it went away so fast. You need a better "Source"  for those critical hard parts.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

I'll recommend Brad Penn oil....it has the anti-wear additive package included so there's no need for additional anti-wear products.  :2thumbs:

Let us know how it works out and what you find  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ranman69SE

Thanks Ron, great advice as always!

440, it is a full TTI exhaust.  Not quite 90 degrees, but close.
'69 Charger SE 493
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'91 Yamaha FJ1200