News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 missing on hard acceleration

Started by Beaujact, July 22, 2012, 01:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaujact

I need some help.  I can't figure out why my 383 misses under heavy acceleration.  I have replaced all the plugs and the carburetor(leaky carter). It idles great and normal driving is great too, just when I mash the pedal it pops and sputters. Any help would be greatly appreciated :brickwall:

c00nhunterjoe

Pops and sputters at first or all the time when you are on it? More info about the engine?

Beaujact

It downshifts and starts to really go then it pops. The engine has been out but i wasn't told by the previous owner what that entailed because he wasn't the one that did the work.  :shruggy:

c00nhunterjoe

What carb is on it? Does it backfire through the carb or out the exhaust? Will it do it at say 3\4 throttle?

Beaujact

it sounds like its coming out the exhaust, the carb is a 650 edelbrock

Chryco Psycho

Eddy carbs are typically lean jetted & low fuel level so start there the factory setting is 7/16" for the float level try raising it to 3/8" , also the 650 is too small so it may be just running out of air/ fuel .

c00nhunterjoe

Agreed.   If the engine is bone stock, get a 750 dp.  If its got the usual cam, intake and headers, get an 850. Soundslike you are running out of gas.

ChgrSteve67

I have a eddy 650 on my 383 and I had to up the jets.
At WOT it would stutter, pop and act like it was going to cut out from fuel starvation.

In the end I took it to a tuner and had them put it on a dyno and properly jet the carb and curve the distributor.
The tuner also setup my choke so it also works properly.

Best $250 I ever spent

Cooter

Quote from: Beaujact on July 22, 2012, 08:50:38 PM
It downshifts and starts to really go then it pops. The engine has been out but i wasn't told by the previous owner what that entailed because he wasn't the one that did the work.  :shruggy:

Is this at high RPM's?
Sounds like you may be floating the valves.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"