News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help - major tranmission leak by driveshaft

Started by 1970Moparmann, July 15, 2012, 06:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

Guys, need some help please.   I will admit that I like learning, but don't know much when it comes to mechanical issues.  I just keep learning...  :2thumbs:

Anyway, long story short, I have my sisters 70 Charger that has a fresh 727 and it's leaking like a bastard by the driveshaft connection (slip yoke).   What needs to be done?

The car was just converted to a 727 from a 833, and I'm pretty sure the same driveshaft was used-I'm checking on this.

The funny thing is I drove the car 25 miles with zero issues, and then today going to a show it started to leak on the expressway and is now leaking all the time even sitting.

Thanks. :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Fred

I'm guessing you either need a new seal or the slip yoke is worn.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

FLG

Could just be the seal but i had an issue with mine and needed to change the seal and the whole bushing...its not to bad just need to remove the tail shaft.

Back N Black

I agree rear seal, drop the driveshaft and replace, half hour job.

1970Moparmann

Just 6T9 CHGR

Could it also be that the shaft is now too short to engage the output shaft fully?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on July 16, 2012, 05:21:51 PM

Could it also be that the shaft is now too short to engage the output shaft fully?

I'll find out this weekend when I have some time to work on it. 

I'll let you guys know.

John_Kunkel

The rear seal is the most likely source but in some rare cases a mismatch of parts can cause a leak.

Some early slip yokes have a small hole drilled in the soft plug that seals off the rear end of the splines, this type of yoke was used with an internal seal on the output shaft. If the trans gets overhauled and the seal is omitted fluid will leak from the hole.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.