News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 front disc brake q's, advice needed

Started by C500, February 21, 2011, 05:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

I have a restored/rebuilt set on my charger and the stopping power is phenominal compared to the drum type system in my opinion.  Back then, disc vs. drums were night and day and still is better but granted, its a night and day difference compared to the disc brake systems of today.  But then again, cars of today do not have the style that they did back then either.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

dustininwy

I also have a bedix 4-piston factory setup that I restored.
I have to agree with resq302, the stopping power vs the drum is amazing. You will absolutly notice the difference.

My calipers were rebuilt by calipersonline, they did an excellent job on them. I recommend them, they are pricey but they are redone with all new parts and they get a stainless steel sleeve along with a lifetime warrenty.
I tried rebuilding mine with one of those yearone kits that has all the rubber seals, but they still leaked so they had to be sleeved.
I bought my rotors from yearone part # bn144.
Put new bearings in and thats all I really needed.

Sounds like you have available everything you need, so go for it.

Lennard

I've got a question regarding the booster gaskets, are they in the right order and does that clear plastic thing belong there? I haven't seen it before on other Bendix booster pics and it kinda interferes with the other gaskets.

resq302

Yes, that clear plastic, often yellowed, piece should be on there.  It is like a debris / dust catcher to prevent stuff from getting inside the booster.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Lennard

Thanks Brian, so all the gaskets in the pic are in the right place including the white one between the clear plastic and the booster?

resq302

Id have to double check with the way it is on my charger , but I seem to think that the direction of the metal plate needs to be flipped around 180*.  The gaskets, I think they are right but it has been such a long time since I put them on.  Its either the white one that gets sandwiched between the reinforcing plate and the booster or it goes between the plate and the firewall.   Not 100% sure at this time.
Brian

Lennard

The metal plate came of off my Charger the way it sits in the pic and does not fit any other way on the firewall so I'm sure that is the correct way.
Thanks for your help. :thumbs: