News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WIW - 67 440 block ?

Started by bksfld68, February 02, 2006, 11:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bksfld68

I am going to look at a 67 440 bare block.  I was told it is standard bore.  I don't know what the market is.  Anyone have any ideas what they would offer if it was in good shape.  I am thinking of building a 440 for a 68 Charger so there is no real interest in matching #'s or date codes, etc.  Just looking at it as a 440 engine block to start with.

Thanks,

Ryan

RD

truly matters on where you are geographically.  prices vary from the different regions of the U.S. based on scarcity.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

bksfld68

I am located in Central California, so is the block.

Ryan

ChgrSteve67

I would say $150 to $250 depending on the shape of it.
You are still going to take it to a machine shop to have the bearings and freeze plugs replaced.
I think I would also put a clause in the deal that if the block is a hunk of iron you can get your money back.
There is usually a good reason an engine has been pulled and striped down to a bare block.

I bought a complete running 1972 440 with 727 auto trans for $425 about 5 Years ago.

Hope this helps

MoparMotel

Ryan, i am from central CA also, in Fresno. Where abouts is the 440, i know some of the mopar guys in this area, might know who it is.

EDIT: just saw you were in Bakersfield.........Don't know anyone from that area.
1968 Dodge Charger

69charger2002

well i have one i just sold to a guy. it is a 67 block but is only missing intake/carb/heads. WITH tranny. and the second i asked $600 for it i sold it
if that helps any
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

ChgrSteve67

Quote from: bksfld68 on February 02, 2006, 11:39:42 AM
I am going to look at a 67 440 bare block.

Ryan

Did you look at or get the block?

bksfld68

Not yet, been a little busy.  He told me he wanted 50.00 for the block and main caps. 

Ryan

dodgeboy67

i paid 300 duckies for 440w/ steel crank out of a 72 monacco also came w/ 727 tranny

its supposed to run with 100 000 miles on it.....but you know how that goes

dpm68

I picked up a 440/727 that came out of a '69 Charger for $1000 clams last summer...seemed fair at the time...dm

is_it_EVER_done?

For $50.00 bucks, it's a no brainer - buy it! As for what a 440 block is worth? As already pointed out, it's more regional than anything else, plus how much someone needs it will always be the deciding factor, but since they are getting MUCH harder to find all the time, I believe that an untested/unknown 440 block w/caps should be worth $200.00 to $250.00.

If it should mag and sonic check good, it's value is much higher for use as a stroker base (my experience has been that maybe one out of 12 blocks check out as exceptional), but most any block is good for a stock type .030 over build.