News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

9.25 rearend question

Started by bad_habits, July 06, 2012, 02:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bad_habits

I have a 9.25 rear in my 74, and the front pinion seal is leaking. I have the new seal, but thought I'd ask if there was any specific way to change it or its just a matter of spinning the bolt off and removing it to change the seal. I don't know much about rear end pre-loads and wanted to make sure to do it right. Thanks

Chryco Psycho

I would center punch the pinion & nut to get the nut back to the same place , the torque will be around 200-250 ft lbs , I do not believe they have a crush sleeve in them

Scaregrabber

They have a crush sleeve. So you'll need one of those as well and a torque wrench.

Sheldon

roadrunner440

u shouldnt need a new crush sleve or am i wrong if u mark the pinion n nut?

Chryco Psycho

once you release the pressure the crush sleeve never works again , you can try to retorque to the marks & see what happens but I bet you will be installing a new crush sleeve , it takes a lot of torque to crush them

roadrunner440

how will u know in unsure of exactly wat the crush sleve does besdes holding pinion in place

Plumcrazy

Here's what you need to do.
Remove the brake drums and disconnect the driveshaft.
Measure the turning torque of the yoke. Then remove it and replace the seal.
Reinstall the yoke and tighten the nut until the turning torque is between your original measurement and up to an additional 5 inch pounds of torque.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

bad_habits

Ok thanks for the replys, so is a new crush sleve required or not?

Chryco Psycho

it keeps the correct pressure on the brgs .
the way Plum Crazy is telling you to do it no .