News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rearend seals 73 8.75

Started by randy73, July 07, 2012, 08:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

I am going to change my rearend from open to lockup and I want to change the seals.

How hard is it to replace the 2 outerseals and the pinion seal?

Chryco Psycho

the axle seals are relatively easy to change out you just need a seal driver the correct size to install them , the pinion seal is completely different , you need to remove the pinion nut torqued to about 250 ft lbs , pull the yolk install the seal & re torque the nut , I usually mark the nut & pinion so they line up again , if it is a 489 carrier the pinion uses a crush sleev that has to be replaced either with a new new crush sleeve or a spacer & shims which requires complete disassembly , the best time to do this is while you are swapping the open case for  the sure grip .
Doctor Diff has new clutch type sure grips and is awesome to deal with if needed .

randy73

Thanks, that is who I bought from and he is a good guy.

squeakfinder

I used the tip of the axle to pry out the old seal's on the end's. Then used a 3/4 inch drive socket to install the new seal's. Don't remember what size socket it was, just used one that was closest to the diameter of the seal.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....