News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil leaks and coolant flush

Started by Dino, July 03, 2012, 07:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

My engine is pretty dirty all over.  Before I replaced the valley pan there was oil and gas sitting on the pan all the time, that seems to be fixed now but I still leave my mark wherever I park.  It's not a lot by any means but the cardboard in my garage has quite a fews mall spots on it now.  What al can I do to stop this thing from leaking?  Which seals need replacing and do I need to use things like ultra copper and rtv as well?

I plan to do this when I fix my leaky header and replace the valve covers and since I need to drain the radiator to remove the header bolts I'd like to flush the whole system.  Honestly I don't know where to start so I'm guessing I should first degrease the engine as best as I can, remove all fluids, remove oil pan and valve covers, install new gaskets and reinstall covers.  I have a few cans of hemi orange so hopefully I can make that old 440 shiny again.

Heck, if I can remove enough I may be able to make the engine bay match the body color again!

Any tips welcome!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Back N Black

Check rear main seal at the engine, they always leak on a Mopar big block.

Dino

Quote from: Back N Black on July 03, 2012, 07:25:34 AM
Check rear main seal at the engine, they always leak on a Mopar big block.

I hope that's something I can fix without pulling the engine.

I guess I need to clean the engine and then look for the leaks first before I start ripping into it.  It's early, my bad....

Plumcrazy

To do it right, clean the engine and add UV dye to the oil.
Then get yourself a black light.  You'll see the leaks much easier.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

bakerhillpins

So how might you all suggest one clean the engine? I have heard folks toss around pressure washing but that sounds like one could get into trouble quick..

The florescent dye is a great idea.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: bakerhillpins on July 06, 2012, 04:38:01 PM
So how might you all suggest one clean the engine? I have heard folks toss around pressure washing but that sounds like one could get into trouble quick..

The florescent dye is a great idea.

I would scrape off any heavy buildup first and use a good engine degreaser.  It also helps a lot if you can use hot water to rinse it off.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Dino

Great idea plum!  Thanks!

My concern is not how to clean it but where.  Something tells me I won't survive the wrath of woman when I do this in the driveway.

Back N Black

go to your local car wash pop the hood and pressure wash.  :2thumbs:

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Back N Black on July 07, 2012, 08:14:12 PM
go to your local car wash pop the hood and pressure wash.  :2thumbs:
Bring a couple cans of oven cleaner, works great.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Paul G

A word of advice when pressure washing. Cover the distributor very well. It really does not like water in it. Same for the carb. Warm engines, not hot, clean better. Gunk regular engine bright works very well. Gunk Foamy is milder than engine bright. Simple Green on the painted surfaces in the engine compartment, and Bleach White tire cleaner for the raw metal stuff like suspension and steering with some small brushes and scrapers for the thick crud are handy as well.

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#