News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TQ experts, will this rebuild kit fit my carb?

Started by Dino, June 22, 2012, 09:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

The search on this site is not finding the part numbers I know are on here so I'll ask again in the hope someone knows.

The hygrade kit is getting hard to find so I found this that supposedly fits my 6545S TQ.

GP Sorensen 96-246C

Can anyone confirm this or does anyone have another GP Sorensen part number for that particular carb?

Last question.  The carb is in great shape as it sits, just a bit dirty from siting in an open box.  How foolish would it be to give it a quick cleaning and bolt it on just to see what it does.  Any risk in that?  Don't want to ruin anything else.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

AirborneSilva

I would think there wouldn't be any harm in trying, it will either run or not.  The question is how well will it run  :shruggy:  If it's been sitting for some time with fuel in it then things are pretty well varnished/gummed up I would suspect.

71bee

Yes, that is a great re-build kit. it will perfectly match your T-Q. don't get discouraged with all the "extra" parts that will come with it. just toss what you don't need.

ALWAYS thoroughly clean your carb before re-assembling it. if anything, grab some carb cleaner in an aerosol can & spray every little part & orifice you can find. I knew a guy that would always take the phenolic center sections & run them through a dishwasher.  :icon_smile_big: came out clean as a whistle every time!  :yesnod:

AirborneSilva

Quote from: 71bee on June 22, 2012, 01:31:52 PM

I knew a guy that would always take the phenolic center sections & run them through a dishwasher.  :icon_smile_big: came out clean as a whistle every time!  :yesnod:

Never heard of that but sounds reasonable, I think the next time I rebuild my holley I will try that - when the wife isn't around that is  :D

Dino

Tony you better not mess up that dishwasher cause your plate will be coming out of it afterwards!   :icon_smile_big:

Found the GP Sorensen 96-246C on ebay for $2, it'll be here next week.  Now I have to go buy a choke pulloff and start cleaning the carb.

AirborneSilva

yeah the taste of gas and carb cleaner on my hot dogs and beans would be  :eek2:

Dino

Fuely dog, not the best grub in the world.   :smilielol: 

Do I need to buy a new choke pull off when the old one is still functional albeit looking a bit rusty?  When I  push the little lever down and cover the tube it'll stay down until I remove my finger.  I figured I'd clean it up and save $15. 

Now will the choke still work now that I've covered the heat crossover with the new valley pan?  Can I install the electric choke off of my Edelbrock 1407?

We've probably all eaten our fair share of gas, oil, rust, dirt and so on over the years. A little gas won't hurt you. Think of it as doing good for the dishwasher, it too could probably use the solvent flush to clean it out   :lol:

bakerhillpins

Quote from: AirborneSilva on June 22, 2012, 01:44:35 PM
Quote from: 71bee on June 22, 2012, 01:31:52 PM

I knew a guy that would always take the phenolic center sections & run them through a dishwasher.  :icon_smile_big: came out clean as a whistle every time!  :yesnod:

Never heard of that but sounds reasonable, I think the next time I rebuild my holley I will try that - when the wife isn't around that is  :D

I always had lots of luck using a dishwasher to clean the wiring harness and circuit boards when I restore pinball machines. I would imagine it works just as well. Never had a problem with aftertaste either. :lol:  I recall the "maintenance tech" at the college rental using WD40 in the dishwasher when someone used dish soap rather than dishwasher soap.. That didn't seem to leave any residue either.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

AirborneSilva

Quote from: 440 on July 02, 2012, 08:56:10 AM
Think of it as doing good for the dishwasher, it too could probably use the solvent flush to clean it out   :lol:

I'll tell my wife you said so  :slap:

AirborneSilva

On a serious note, I think that if you did a "pre" wash with dish soap and hot water in a bucket that should remove any solvents from the metal.

I agree, soap concentrate with hot water followed by blowing out the passages with a compressor. That heavy duty carb  wash  stuff in the tin with screen tray makes your hands stink for a week.

71bee

Quote from: 440 on July 02, 2012, 08:56:10 AM
We've probably all eaten our fair share of gas, oil, rust, dirt and so on over the years. A little gas won't hurt you. Think of it as doing good for the dishwasher, it too could probably use the solvent flush to clean it out   :lol:

LOL! pretty much the exact words I told him.

BTW, if your dishwasher's recycling the "old" water from previous washes, might I suggest a new dishwasher?  ;)

AirborneSilva

The dishwashers a good washer it's just that plastic tends to soak up and hold onto petroleum products that you can later smell and taste...

Dino

I took the main body apart so I could get to the screw that holds the choke pull off and I'm very happy that it's pretty much all looking like new!  The phenolic body is clean, no cracks, wells have not seperated or anything.  Seals even look decent but since I have my rebuild kit I'll replace all I can.

I'm a bit nervous to start taking stuff apart even with a camera next to me.  I'm world famous for screwing up things like this you know.

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Dino on July 03, 2012, 08:44:06 AM

I'm a bit nervous to start taking stuff apart even with a camera next to me.  I'm world famous for screwing up things like this you know.

That's why I have a Holey, much less complicated for my little brain  :yesnod:

Dino

Hehee, if this fails I may get one of those new street dominator carbs.  Anything but this damn eddy that's driving me nuts.

I would love to get this working though.  The carb came with the car and I paid $12 for the rebuild kit shipping included.  At least I won't be wasting a whole lot of money.   :icon_smile_big:

AirborneSilva

Yeah and you might learn a little in the process!