News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Traction bars

Started by twodko, June 28, 2012, 11:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

Good morning crew,

Are any of you running traction bars on your 2nd gens? Are they worth having for a street machine? What the best for use on a 69?
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Ghoste

I still like the threaded adjustable pinion snubber best.  Works great, easily set where you want it and unseen.

twodko

Ghoste are you talking about the old school Lakewood bars? I've run those on other cars and really liked them. Lakewood bars are what I'm leaning toward.

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Budnicks

Quote from: twodko on June 28, 2012, 04:51:38 PM
Ghoste are you talking about the old school Lakewood bars? I've run those on other cars and really liked them. Lakewood bars are what I'm leaning toward.
I believe he's referring to the adjustable pinion snubber that mounts directly to the top of the front of the 3rd member, replacing the stock stamped steel unit with a small rubber bumper, it hit's the floor to stop the rear axle housing from rotating, there are 2 types 1 has a infinite thread {in photo below} & the other is adjustable with a receiver, that slides up & down, then a pin/bolt hold in in place, very similar to a trailer hitch & reciever...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

twodko

Two new options I was unaware of..................researching. :scope: Thanks!

Brass

I'm not the most educated when it comes to traction bars but I had them at one time and didn't see the benefit.  I don't think Mopars need them.  Unless you're experiencing wheel-hop you're probably just adding weight.

Cooter

Unless you are running SS springs which IMO is the reasoning behind the phrase "Mopar's Don;t need Traction bars"..IMO, ANY leaf sprung car can and DO benefit from traction bars. I mean, WTF are those "Cal-Trac" bars everybody seems to think work so well???

Guess what???They are traction bars and they DO help Mopars hook...Just ask anybody running Cal-Tracs. SS springs are so STIFF in front of the rearend perches, they tend to work against them. With any other "Weaker" spring pack, they can and DO help traction..They just got a bad rep in the 70's because they were installed more for looks thatn anything else.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

twodko

Quote from: Cooter on June 29, 2012, 02:56:13 PM
Unless you are running SS springs which IMO is the reasoning behind the phrase "Mopar's Don;t need Traction bars"..IMO, ANY leaf sprung car can and DO benefit from traction bars. I mean, WTF are those "Cal-Trac" bars everybody seems to think work so well???

Guess what???They are traction bars and they DO help Mopars hook...Just ask anybody running Cal-Tracs. SS springs are so STIFF in front of the rearend perches, they tend to work against them. With any other "Weaker" spring pack, they can and DO help traction..They just got a bad rep in the 70's because they were installed more for looks thatn anything else.

I believe that's the gospel right there Cooter. Along with saving for my disk brakes I'll add some Cal Tracs dollars in there too.  :2thumbs:

c00nhunterjoe

I have the "old school" traction bars on my 69. They definatly made a difference. No more wheel hop, and I can somewhat launch the car on radials.  Caltracs are the way to go though. Got them on the 67 belvedere and they are night and day

squeakfinder

Hmmm, I was under the impression that the pinion snuber did the the job at least somewhat of traction bars. That's why there was no point in having traction bars on these cars.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Fred

Quote from: Brass on June 29, 2012, 02:20:26 PM
  Unless you're experiencing wheel-hop you're probably just adding weight.

I'm with you there.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

c00nhunterjoe

The snubber or the bars will accmplish the same thing, preventing axle wrap

Budnicks

Quote from: Cooter on June 29, 2012, 02:56:13 PM

CalTracs are more than just traction bars but that's just symantics...

twodko

The geometry of this system looks like it would pretty much eliminate spring wrap. Does this system change the normal ride characteristics?

Budnicks

They aren't cheap... Ride height really depends on what spring rate you choose, some will actually lower the car, call or check out their site for the Calvert/CalTracs www.calvertracing.com or contact them at Calvert Racing Suspensions, 4530 Runway Dr., Lancaster, CA, 93536, phone # is {661}-728-9600... there are other parts that you can get to fine tune a far superior traction system, over S/S springs or good old traction bars, call them they will work with you... very good guys over there...

twodko

Thank you for that info. I'm probably going to just replace the springs. I need front disks most riki freakin' tik.......driving with drums in the front is not warm and fuzzy.

HPP

Quote from: squeakfinder on June 29, 2012, 09:11:26 PM

Hmmm, I was under the impression that the pinion snuber did the the job at least somewhat of traction bars. That's why there was no point in having traction bars on these cars.

Yes, they both do the same thing, create a physical contact point to prevent further  housing rotation. Snubbers tend to be up out of sight and out of the way. I have seen under spring traction bars cause clearance problems with speed bumps and flat tires. Similarly, if you just slap only old tranction bar under a spring without setting the proper length, there is the posibility it does not hit he spring in the right location and you run the risk of bending the main leaf.

If yo'u're running SS sprigns and you have them set up correctly, you will never need a snubber or traction bars as they create lift and chassis seperation, which actually pulls those traction devices away from the contact points that allow them to do their job.

Cal-tracs were created by a Ford racer to simulate the short segment action of a mopar super stock spring but stay within the rule limitation of stock pick up locations. Fords and Chevy have symetrical springs with the axle located smack dab in the cente,r ie they have a tendancy to wrap easily. Mopars are asymetrical with the front segment being shorter. Cal-tracs are a nice set up and have some additional adjustment over straight leafs, but I have heard of as many guys who saw no gain with their installation as guys who had huge improvements. I'd say their results are somewhat tuning and combo dependant.