News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona and SuperBird Wings CNC'd

Started by Bob T, June 29, 2012, 06:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob T

Just wondering if anyone has developed a program for CNC machines to make Wings and associated pieces for the aftermarket?
Saw on another thread that one of the aftermarketguys had been having holdups with a foundry and I thought it could be a cost effective option with the ability to turn out a quality product.
We do CNC machine and other machinery installs, if someone has a pdf or a link to a diagram for OEM drawings, I could talk to one of our customers about feasibility.
My email is southerncharger@gmail.com

:popcrn:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Indygenerallee

Dane's Daytona wing is hollow like the originals and you can't do that with a CNC machine the last I checked, that why they are poured in a foundry.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

DAY CLONA

Casting aluminum is "cheap" in comparison to the size requirements needed for machining blanks of even "cheap" 1001 or 3003 grade aluminum in billet form, nevermind the cost of premium 5000 or 6000 (T6) grades!....CNC is great if your writing the program and doing the set-up/run..., if your paying for the programmer, that's a little costly, esp the initial run, and any mods to the program needed, most CNC's only have a 48" bed length with 36" max travel (18" side to side from center )....the center sections of the wings will vary from 57 1/2" to 55 1/2" tona/bird in length, requiring a lot of reprositioning....the wings profile as it gets to finished mode/roughing, regardless of whether it's an upright or center section becomes a nightmare to retain or bolt to the milling table...I have complete access to several CNC Hass machines 24/7/365, believe me the thought has crossed my mind several hundred times as I don't enjoy hand forming the Tona/Bird wings that I repro in steel....customers will want/require hollow wings, regardless of the alloy(s) employed....

Mike

Bob T

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 29, 2012, 10:07:20 PM
Casting aluminum is "cheap" in comparison to the size requirements needed for machining blanks of even "cheap" 1001 or 3003 grade aluminum in billet form, nevermind the cost of premium 5000 or 6000 (T6) grades!....CNC is great if your writing the program and doing the set-up/run..., if your paying for the programmer, that's a little costly, esp the initial run, and any mods to the program needed, most CNC's only have a 48" bed length with 36" max travel (18" side to side from center )....the center sections of the wings will vary from 57 1/2" to 55 1/2" tona/bird in length, requiring a lot of reprositioning....the wings profile as it gets to finished mode/roughing, regardless of whether it's an upright or center section becomes a nightmare to retain or bolt to the milling table...I have complete access to several CNC Hass machines 24/7/365, believe me the thought has crossed my mind several hundred times as I don't enjoy hand forming the Tona/Bird wings that I repro in steel....customers will want/require hollow wings, regardless of the alloy(s) employed....

Mike

Ok, Thanks for the explanation Mike.
Just curious, had thought the sections would be difficult to retain on bed closer to becoming a finished product.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

mauve66

other than the length, is the rest of the center section profile the same bird to tona???

just wondering as i had to add 2 inches or so to mine to get it to work for my project..............

not that anyone is making a bird wing to match the one i got but maybe i could of made it work with the good hollow tona uprights and a fiberglass center section.......
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

DAY CLONA

Quote from: mauve66 on June 30, 2012, 07:04:43 PM
other than the length, is the rest of the center section profile the same bird to tona???

Yes the center section for the Tona and Bird are the same profile, as they were the only part that was made as a continious extrusion, and cut to length, drilled and tapped,... the bird is generally 55 1/2", and the tona 57 1/2" in length, but they all vary in finished dimensions, as they were hand trimmed and finished