News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing Air Conditioning Components

Started by PFA42, May 26, 2011, 09:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PFA42

I have a 69 A/C car and I'm removing all the A/C components.  Can anyone give me some guidance on what to do with the pulley set up once I remove the compressor? 

Thanks in advance for the help.

PFA
1969 Charger R/T, 440, 727 TF column shift, 8 3/4 suregrip 3.91

A383Wing

find a complete non-ac pulley & alt mounting bracket from same engine you have now....you will need 2 groove crank pulley, water pump pulley, alt mounting brackets, and new water pump for non-ac car

you will need belts as well

Kern Dog

A NEW water pump?
I see no reason to change out the water pump. The NON A/C pulleys and brackets are all you need.

ChgrSteve67

AC and NON-AC cars use different water pumps with different qty and size impellers. Because of the difference in pulley size they are designed to rotate and different speeds. So of you don't change the pump when you change the pulley you can have water cavitation in the block and thus cooling problems.

non-AC on the left and AC on the right

PFA42

A383Wing

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on May 26, 2011, 11:14:52 PM
A NEW water pump?
I see no reason to change out the water pump. The NON A/C pulleys and brackets are all you need.

yea, what Steve said above....you cannot use mis-matched pulleys & water pumps....he basically said it clearer than I could....if you are going from AC to non AC.....you will need the pump with the larger blades....

elacruze

Quote from: A383Wing on May 26, 2011, 11:25:18 PM
Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on May 26, 2011, 11:14:52 PM
A NEW water pump?

yea, what Steve said above....you cannot use mis-matched pulleys & water pumps....he basically said it clearer than I could....if you are going from AC to non AC.....you will need the pump with the larger blades....

Disagree.

Show me different part numbers called out for A/C and non-A/C engines in the same year.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

ODZKing

They are correct ... pumps are different.
See below

PFA42

Could someone lead me in the direction to finding these parts?

Thanks again for the assist

PFA

ChgrSteve67

I would start at your local parts store and inspect the pump before you buy it to make sure its correct.

I ordered this one from Summit and it was a non-ac pump
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GMB-120-1200/
Though if you look at the picture and count the impellers it looks like a ac pump. Summit pictures don't always match the part.
I like summits return policy so I tend to get my parts there.

If you search the internet you will find places selling that part number and want big bucks for the water pump. Best to know what you need and what it looks like so you know when you get the right one.

You can get the pullys from Mancini Racing
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/strepu.html

They also carry the alt brackets
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/albrac.html

or visit a junk yard and see if you can find a motor with the parts you need
or ebay

belts you should be able to get at local parts store.

John_Kunkel

You don't really need to change the water pump, just drive it with the correct pulleys. The small vane water pumps are driven about 40% over crankshaft speed by using a smaller water pump pulley, just use the earlier non-A/C pulleys that drive the pump near crank speed when using the large vane pump.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

A383Wing

Quote from: elacruze on May 27, 2011, 07:04:06 AM
Disagree.

Show me different part numbers called out for A/C and non-A/C engines in the same year.

see 4 posts up....

I have been through this on my car....if you use an ac pump and non-ac pulleys....water will not move correctly through engine

if you use non-ac pump and ac pulleys....pump vanes will move so fast water will cavitate and will overheat

elacruze

Quote from: ODZKing on May 27, 2011, 11:46:49 AM
They are correct ... pumps are different.
See below

:scratchchin: :shruggy: :icon_smile_blackeye:

I'll be darned. I'm constantly amazed at what I thought I knew a minute ago...

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Bossman963

Hi if your not going to put A/C back- Im looking for all the A/C lines in the engine compartment- let me know if U want 2 sell them & of course a price :2thumbs:
thx Mike
68 Charger 440- under construction
70 Challenger R/T 383 in 2nd version of Vanishing Point. 4 SALE
69 Boss 302
70 Boss 302
74 pantera GTS

PFA42

Does anyone have any info on this company? Looking at buying the parts I need to finish my project.

Bouchillon Performance Engineering for pulleys and brackets.

Thanks!
PFA

elacruze

Quote from: PFA42 on June 01, 2011, 07:26:55 AM
Does anyone have any info on this company? Looking at buying the parts I need to finish my project.

Bouchillon Performance Engineering for pulleys and brackets.

Thanks!
PFA

I'm just finishing my underhood A/C install. I had all Bouchillon components at first, but in the end will only be using the low-mount compressor brackets. Their condenser/lines/fittings are generic and ... just not as nice as I wanted. Everything but the compressor brackets has come from Classic Air-

http://www.classicautoair.com/

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

gtx6970

I need one of the hoses for a 1969 Charger big block car if you want to sell

PFA42

Not looking to sell anything just yet.  I may want to, after I make up my mind on whether or not the A/C is ever going back on the car.

PFA

Bossman963

Let me know if decide to sell it as I think I was the first in line  asking for the parts
68 Charger 440- under construction
70 Challenger R/T 383 in 2nd version of Vanishing Point. 4 SALE
69 Boss 302
70 Boss 302
74 pantera GTS

PFA42

Looking at picking up the mopar performance aluminum water pump and water pump housing...  will this pump comply with the non A/C set up? Please advise

Thanks
PFA

gtx6970

Quote from: PFA42 on June 09, 2011, 07:00:27 AM
Looking at picking up the mopar performance aluminum water pump and water pump housing...  will this pump comply with the non A/C set up? Please advise

Thanks
PFA

Yes

cogaussie

Hi guys, car looks great. Esp the 318. Ive got a 72 barracuda with a 318 with air con. I have removed the ac and now have a problem. The current belt set up. One belt runs the pump, power steer and the other one I was going to run the alternator alone, problem being now the belt won't clear the bottom of the water pump.

I have read you can shave the little fin off the bottom of the fan, or change the pulleys. Being in Australia It's not easy to get parts for small block.

Please advise what you think I would need to do this properly. ie do I need a different alt bracket , crank pulley, alternator pulley, a different water pump?

I have read the ac water pumps are different to the non ac water pumps.

thanks

Jc

PFA42

I changed brackets and pulleys to convert from A/C to non A/C set up.  I recommend http://bouchillonperformance.com/ for you parts.  These guys were a tremendous help and very familiar with the conversion.

PFA

WhiteOnGreen

I does a custom homemade bracket for alternator and is very easy. Works fine