News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to start?

Started by semblance2004, July 04, 2012, 05:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

semblance2004

I know this is a mess. I think I need to start with the rear frame support rails and work up from there. I did look at the info on http://www.69hemi.com/ Anything thoughts would be appreciated.
Mike

UpDate: Just wondering if I am planning this all wrong. Rather that start in the rear, should I do the center of the car first if it needs any thing other than a new floor pan?

Cooter

unless you have the "Jig" (IE: Bracing) to hold the back end of that car in the factory place, watch how much you remove. Only take out what you have to to repair one frame rail or whatever at a time.  That thing will try and fold up like a wallet if you remove too much.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

semblance2004

c00nhunterjoe

From those pics it really doesn't look bad. The main rail and extension rail look intact. If they are bad I agree, one at a time, don't cut anything until you brace it accordingly.

semblance2004

The passenger side is about 50% gone, but you are right the drivers side is not as bad

Updated  Crawling under there this morning with the wheels off, only about 18 inches of the passenger side is worthless. The other side is not as bad. You were right, it is not as bad as I thought. It is good up to where the trunk support goes across.
Thanks again
Mike

c00nhunterjoe

Since the trunk floor is toast, finish opening up the frame rails. They rot from the inside out. It may look good on the outside, but be paper thin.

I may catch hell for this but I'll say it anyway. Ifyou are not restoring the car you can repair the rail. Mine was rotting where the main rail meets the leaf extension rail. I cut it out and rebuilt it. Will it win best of show? No. Butit is solid and safe to drive.

If you are doing a full resto then just order the new rails and be done with it.